Crest XR-20 on ebay - no bids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I don't get this; a nice XR-20 from a seller with good feedback and he gets
no bids at $1200? These don't come up often, and every one I've seen goes
for at least $1300. Am I missing something here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3759791671

(my interest is that I have one that I've considered to be a reasonably good
investment, but not if the market for them has disappeared!)

Sean

<< (my interest is that I have one that I've considered to be a reasonably good
investment, but not if the market for them has disappeared!) >>

Audio gear is a good investment if it enables you to produce audio which paople
are willing to pay for. If you want to watch your money grow, talk to an
invesment banker. I bet he doesn't even recommend buying 1081s or 1073s or
U47s for anything other than recording.
Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

"Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98@yaaho.com> wrote in message news:eek:wpkd.3044$IQ.2267@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
> I don't get this; a nice XR-20 from a seller with good feedback and he gets
> no bids at $1200? These don't come up often, and every one I've seen goes
> for at least $1300. Am I missing something here?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3759791671
>
> (my interest is that I have one that I've considered to be a reasonably good
> investment, but not if the market for them has disappeared!)
>
> Sean

e-Bay is also a little bit wishy-washy, in that it's a buyer's market on any
given week and a seller's market the next. Even though no one bids on
the current listing, it might get 15 bids and $2K when listed again. It sort
of depends on who's watching, and that appears to change dramatically
from day to day.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Yep, no one bids on equipment for an investment, unless it's an investment
in making some money back with use.

I wouldn't spend good money on an XR20 unless I was going to use it, and, in
fact I didn't. I use mine and get a return on it, but just because someone
is selling on ebay doesn't mean there's anyone buying on ebay for that
particular product at this particular time.

$1300 is a good price, however.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message

> "Sean Conolly" <sjconolly_98@yaaho.com> wrote in message
> > I don't get this; a nice XR-20 from a seller with good feedback and he
gets
> > no bids at $1200? These don't come up often, and every one I've seen
goes
> > for at least $1300. Am I missing something here?
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3759791671
> >
> > (my interest is that I have one that I've considered to be a reasonably
good
> > investment, but not if the market for them has disappeared!)
> >
> > Sean
> >

> e-Bay is also a little bit wishy-washy, in that it's a buyer's market on
any
> given week and a seller's market the next. Even though no one bids on
> the current listing, it might get 15 bids and $2K when listed again. It
sort
> of depends on who's watching, and that appears to change dramatically
> from day to day.

Yes I have to agree here Ebay seems to depend on who is watching when - I
picked up a working logic analyser on Ebay for $200 and about 2 weeks later
another analyser - same model - was up for sale described as not in working
condition. I put in a bid as I figured I could use it for spare parts but
much to my surprise the second analyser went for around $350 ....
Also a lot of people 'snipe' that is they bid at the last minute - Of hang
on I just checked the listing it has already ended ;-) the Seller may have
listed the starting price a bit high also if $1300 is a normal price for
these $1200 may not be perceived as enough of a bargain to get the buyers
interested and bidding against each other - Of course the risk of listing
too low is that you may only get your starting price so it is a bit of a
game really - remember the buyers are after a Bargain but will often bid
higher once they get started and of course the sellers are hoping for a good
price and there are many second hand items that have effectively increased
in value sinc the advent of Ebay - Alesis Eqs spring immediatly to mind here
;-)

Regards
Richard Freeman

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I contacted the seller and bought it.

This thing is heavy! No wonder they put handles on the front of it!

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Welcome to the Crest ownership club, Hal.

You'll find that it's not only heavy, but usable. If you didn't get a
manual with it, you can download a color one from www.crestaudio.com and
work from there. Almost everything you can think of in terms of function is
provided.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
> Welcome to the Crest ownership club, Hal.
>
> You'll find that it's not only heavy, but usable. If you didn't get a
> manual with it, you can download a color one from www.crestaudio.com and
> work from there. Almost everything you can think of in terms of function
is
> provided.

I already downloaded the manual. I just have to get some sort of stand so I
can mount it closer to horizontal and still be able to get to the connectors
on
the back. I didn't really want a rackmount configuration, but I haven't
found
anything with similar features/quality/price but a desktop format.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Well the new Mackie Onyx mixers aren't far off price and feature wise......
Haven't tested it yet so can't comment on the quality.....

Ole

> "Roger W. Norman" <rnorman@starpower.net> wrote in message
> > Welcome to the Crest ownership club, Hal.
> >
> > You'll find that it's not only heavy, but usable. If you didn't get a
> > manual with it, you can download a color one from www.crestaudio.com and
> > work from there. Almost everything you can think of in terms of
function
> is
> > provided.
>
> I already downloaded the manual. I just have to get some sort of stand so
> can mount it closer to horizontal and still be able to get to the
connectors
> on
> the back. I didn't really want a rackmount configuration, but I haven't
> found
> anything with similar features/quality/price but a desktop format.
>
> Hal Laurent
> Baltimore

I'm going to build a new box for mine so that it sits at the appropriate
angle, has a cable access and can sit up for setup. It's just too nice of a
mixer to be concerned about the pain it can be in my gigrig, so building
something that suits is my goal. After I get it build (maybe after
Thanksgiving) I'll send you a picture. If you like it I can give you plans
or build you one.

I believe it was PMA Audio that came out with a rather high dollar 8 channel
mixer in a nice cherry box, angled correctly with enough space for cabling
out the back. Maybe not, but I'll start with a simple plywood or MDF box
for the prototype. And I've got to get it started before I finally have to
put my table saw away for the winter! <g>

--

"Ole Johansen" <ole@lydcompaniet.no> wrote:

> Well the new Mackie Onyx mixers aren't far off price and feature
wise......

The Mackie still uses those stupid, tiny 60mm "baby" faders. Why would
they do that to a product they seem to be presenting as an "upscale"
mixer?

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Besides, it doesn't matter. Once one works with the Crest, something like
the Onyx would be an ok secondary product, but Crest really thought of
virtually EVERYTHING in the way this baby can work. I'm almost ready to
hook mine up to the DAW and see how it really works in a studio environment
as mic pres, but I still have some ways to go to get the studio back in
shape after the remodel. I might even have had more done of JoVee hadn't
moved and kept his son in the same school because now I have a daily coffee
break with him for the mornings! <g> I guess I can't blame him for not
wanting to make a 45 minute trip 4 times a day to get his son to school.

Of course, it's always nice to like the purchases you've made, so most
people aren't really apt to be disgruntled unless they are working with them
a lot and have other things to choose from. But the fact is that I am
constantly pleased with the quality of this mixer, both in build and
flexibility. Everything I've thought of so far the mixer has been able to
accomodate.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio