News Criminals Rob Thousands of Dollars From ATMs Using Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
"A paywall shields the official court documents"

You have to pay for public records in Texas?? I guess they're desperate for money in that wealthy oil state!!

And hey, turns out there is an audience for all those Pi articles here....:p

Infamy

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
Bunch of banks are gonna look to patch this.. Kinda surprised they havent yet. Its funny to me how idiotic people pull off things like this. If they were actually smart they wouldn't have gotten caught so quick and probably could have made off with tons of money. So, I guess it's good that they were stupid enough to get caught that fast so other places don't get ripped off...

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Bunch of banks are gonna look to patch this.. Kinda surprised they havent yet. Its funny to me how idiotic people pull off things like this.
Per folks I knew who serviced ATMs: "We can't tell you everything, but we can tell you nobody's getting money out without someone knowing about it!"

And likely prison time for $5700 between the three of them? Thanks but I'll find another career.

Reactions: artk2219
Sep 5, 2023
Saying that it's "behind a paywall" is a bit much. It's listed in the US Federal Government's PACER ("Public Access to Court Electronic Records") system at https://pacer.uscourts.gov. Yes, there is a per search / per document fee, but it's waived if you accrue less than $30 / month in charges.

In any event, it's case number 5:23-cr-00087-H-BQ, USA v Ruiz et al in the Northern District of Texas. The indictment contains very little detail. The defendants (themselves) filed a motion to suppress the evidence collected in the search which is actually relatively well written, though it misunderstands some of the law involved (of course, lawyers do that too).

Sep 5, 2023
"A paywall shields the official court documents"

You have to pay for public records in Texas?? I guess they're desperate for money in that wealthy oil state!!

And hey, turns out there is an audience for all those Pi articles here....:p
Pacermonitor appears to be a intermediary site where one can get court documents, that doesn't really have any affiliation with any government.

Also, PACER is a US entity having nothing to do with Texas.

Vanderlindemedia

Commendable
Jul 15, 2022
Bunch of banks are gonna look to patch this.. Kinda surprised they havent yet. Its funny to me how idiotic people pull off things like this. If they were actually smart they wouldn't have gotten caught so quick and probably could have made off with tons of money. So, I guess it's good that they were stupid enough to get caught that fast so other places don't get ripped off...

They where found in a hotel... So likely they got taped applying the device, using it and tapping cash out of a machine that was'nt theirs.

I mean don't misunderstand, most ATM machines still run on Windows NT up to windows XP still.

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
The details of this story are odd.
Never heard of a "Cash Drawer" in an ATM, at least not NCR or Dieold"
Did the thieves get into ATM's or Point Of Sale terminals?
What brand ATM's were targeted? How did they physically access the machine with a Raspberry PI?

Status
Not open for further replies.