Crisis Believed to be First Malware Infecting Virtual Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now, I see that it can infect VMs through the host, but is the reverse true? Can the host be infected by a virus through the VM?

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Now, I see that it can infect VMs through the host, but is the reverse true? Can the host be infected by a virus through the VM?

Excellent question... I expect we'll here more about this in a couple months (after it does some real damage). Just cuz they found one variant doesn't mean the threat is over... Just means they've identified one new family of threats to keep an eye one.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]M1A1D[/nom]Now, I see that it can infect VMs through the host, but is the reverse true? Can the host be infected by a virus through the VM?[/citation]Yes - in theory. The closest I've heard of is an exploit against the Xbox 360 VM which allowed virtualized software (most everything on the console) to get access to the hardware. But it was only used by some hackers to install Linux on it.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This is why I keep most of my machines of the net from now on, second those bloated windows updates grrr.[/citation]

So you keep most of your machines from the net because things are "distributed via social engineering and tricks a user into running a Java applet Flash installer."? I take it you don't have a phone either because someone keeps tricking you into sending money to a prince in india? You can turn off windows updates btw. Though you should keep installing the security patches.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Hiii[/nom]You guys hate Java?, and if you do, why?[/citation]

Did you read the article?

"Crisis is distributed via social engineering and tricks a user into running a Java applet Flash installer."

Java is a security risk, and Flash is even worse. It's not a matter of "hating Java", it's a matter of caring about security when you connect to the internet.

;)

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Did you read the article?"Crisis is distributed via social engineering and tricks a user into running a Java applet Flash installer."Java is a security risk, and Flash is even worse. It's not a matter of "hating Java", it's a matter of caring about security when you connect to the internet.[/citation]

Now, don't put java and flash in the same bracket.
Many people seems to confuse java with javascript, which are two completely separate things.
For example, when it is said that the chrome browser is really fast for java, it is really implicated to mean that it is fast for javascript, not Java the language.
Most security risks come from javascript, the java language isn't nearly as common as javascript on the web.
And the so often nagging "update java" from oracle that have you update java manually has nothing to do with the javascript that many people really think is java.
And in this exploit there is a third thing, java-applet, which is based on java the language, not javascript.

Somebody else talked about using "noscript" to block java. I don't use noscript, but isn't that blocking javascript and not java? Or is it blocking both?

Hiii

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Did you read the article?"Crisis is distributed via social engineering and tricks a user into running a Java applet Flash installer."Java is a security risk, and Flash is even worse. It's not a matter of "hating Java", it's a matter of caring about security when you connect to the internet.[/citation]

I did not, thank you for the answer.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Sad. but now they know that it can happen and now start the hunt instead of the "phantom if". As for windows updates please tell me you are getting the security updates at least, an updated Windows is hard to get into. @in_the_loop thanks for posting that early.
That said I hate all the Java & Flash exploits.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This is why I keep most of my machines of the net from now on, second those bloated windows updates grrr.[/citation]
You know that those Windows Updates that you hide from patch and fix security holes and vulnerabilities that popup. Staying away from them just makes your computer more vulnerable for that one day that you do put them online.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Those Windows Updates usually come AFTER a threat has exploded and inflected millions of users already. But at least Microsoft tries to get the fix out as fast as possible. Adobe blatantly lets security holes stay unfixed for months on end, that's why I hate them. The last few viruses I've gotten have all been from Flash or Adobe's PDF Reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts