Question Critical Errors in Event Viewer under "AsyncCausality" - - - impact on gaming performance ?

May 15, 2023
I've discovered a high volume of critical errors in Event Viewer on multiple PCs in my household, specifically under the path: Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > AsyncCausality. The Event Viewer logs critical errors at an alarmingly high rate, nearly 100 per second, with several specific event IDs repeatedly occurring:

Critical 8208: Event fired when an asynchronous operation is completed.
Critical 16400: Event fired when a synchronous work item starts.
Critical 20496: Event fired when a synchronous work item completes.
Critical 4112: Event fired when an asynchronous operation is created.
The Details pane often lists PIDs associated with TextInputHost.exe, gamingservices.exe, and occasionally Token Broker. I identified them with Process Explorer.

Can anyone tell me 1) if this is normal, or 2) if their machines also receive these same critical errors? I have been trying to fix an issue with my machines which I currently suspect is caused by environmental factor basically causing games to have frametime spikes when I play online. I've tried most troubleshooting steps. Right now I'm just curious about these events due to the fact they are listed as critical errors and pop up at a high rate (close to 100 of them per second!)

I would appreciate any advice, and anyone who is able to check their own Event Viewer logs (you have to go to the path above and click "enable logging", then refresh the window) it would be greatly appreciated!

May 15, 2023
May 15, 2023
Wait, you don't have the events or are you saying your Event Viewer doesn't list AsyncCausality at all? Because I just tried running Win 10 in a VM and I don't have AsyncCausality even listed in its Event Viewer!

Edit: Nvmd, I'm dumb. You have to enable "Show Analytic and Debug Logs" in the menu under "View". I get the same critical errors in a virtual machine too so maybe they are perfectly normal...

Last edited: