Question Critical process died, brand new laptop, Hard drive warning now passes

inmantisaiah

Reputable
Feb 8, 2019
Hi,

I recently got an HP elitebook 1040 G3 and I turned it on and downloaded chrome then hearthstone, played one game, and went to bed.

I left the laptop on, and woke up a few hours later and it was off. I plugged in the charger just in case, turned it on, and got a Critical Process failure-- I ran the built in diagnostics and the hard drive short DST came up as warning. I did the hard drive long dst and it came back passing. I kept trying to turn it on but to no avail it would switch back and forth from that blue screen to a screen that said no hard drive detected, install a boot drive or something. This was about 2 hours. Tried one last time and it turned on, i didn't do anything different, but prior all of the test read passing, even the hard drive short DST.

Should I assume everything is fine? or is that naive. I just got this hours ago. Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
No - something is wrong.

Hardware. Software. Difficult to know at this point.

(Do update your post to include the EliteBook's hardware and software specs.)

May be just a loose internal connection or perhaps something overheating if the laptop gets too warm inside.

And also remember that if the EliteBook was connected to your home network and thus the internet, Windows 10 (or some app) may have attempted to do some updates that were perhaps corrupted, buggy, or otherwise failed.

You also have the option to uninstall Chrome and Hearthstone. If the EliteBook's performance stabilizes then one of them may been the issue.

Use Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer to look for error codes and warnings. Hopefully the logs will have captured some meaningful error code or warning to help you narrow down the source of the problem.

Look first and see what you can find.

Do not just start applying fixes and making changes. Key is to methodically work through it all and determine the nature of the problem(s).

Then focus on the potential solutions.

inmantisaiah

Reputable
Feb 8, 2019
No - something is wrong.

May be just a loose internal connection or perhaps something overheating if the laptop gets too warm inside.

And also remember that if the EliteBook was connected to your home network and thus the internet, Windows 10 (or some app) may have attempted to do some updates that were perhaps corrupted, buggy, or otherwise failed.

You also have the option to uninstall Chrome and Hearthstone. If the EliteBook's performance stabilizes then one of them may been the issue.

Use Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer to look for error codes and warnings. Hopefully the logs will have captured some meaningful error code or warning to help you narrow down the source of the problem.

Do not just start applying fixes and making changes. Key is to methodically work through it all and determine the nature of the problem(s).

Hello and thank you! When the laptop finally turned back on I noticed it was at 56% of the windows critical updates. I just restarted the laptop after manually checking for updates for every driver and it turned on fine. I'm just hoping it's not a bad connector, but as of now I'm thinking maybe it had been a wonky file during the update.

The only reason I'm adherent to returning the laptop is because the school I attend gave it to me and they signed over all the rights and explicitly said how as soon as I sign everything is now my responsibility. However couldn't they file this under a shipping claim since it's out of box defected (if so)? I wouldn't want to use the extended product warranty if that's the case and then get the same product back if I could just get this replaced.

But at the same time, is it worth the hassle? I know some other people have gotten this error code and the boot drive missing, based on them installing windows 10, so if it happened during that process for me and it's running fine and the system checks out then, I hope it's fine, but I will run the tests.

It shouldnt have been from overheating all of the vents were open and laptop battery was generally cool the entire time. I'm new to Reliable History/Manager and Event Viewer but I will check back.

Diagnose your drive. Use HDtune health. Post screenshot.

Okay Thank You, I will check this out!

inmantisaiah

Reputable
Feb 8, 2019
No - something is wrong.

As of now there's nothing listed in the reliability history, and with the event viewer there's too much information to sift through. However, there was one critical event it said the laptop turned off without cleanly shutting down, but I think that was me at some point during the process of trying to turn it back on (or it might have been with the drivers I'm not entirely sure), but other than that there were 183 warnings.

With the reliability history however, around the time of the original blue screen while I was sleeping this may have occurred, but the ProSet Wireless Zero Configuration stopped working and a report was sent. This also happened in 2017 with the laptop, assumingly upon set up as it's brand new 2019.

Thank you for the help! What would you do?

Ralston18

Titan
I would lean towards the update process being the possible culprit. And hopefully not some hardware issue.

Unfortunately, new computers often go through a myriad of initial changes both end user initiated and automatic (updates).

So much happens that, barring some specific and meaningful error code or warning identifying the root problem(s) becomes difficult.

Avoid making any more changes or installing any software. Let Windows 10 catch up with its updates. Then run the built in Windows 10 troubleshooters if necessary to perhaps find and fix other issues. And there may be some installed applications trying to update themselves as well - some AV app or backup app for example.

Pay close attention to any pop-up windows, error codes, and warnings received.

First objective is a stable, working computer.

inmantisaiah

Reputable
Feb 8, 2019
I would lean towards the update process being the possible culprit. And hopefully not some hardware issue.

Unfortunately, new computers often go through a myriad of initial changes both end user initiated and automatic (updates).

So much happens that, barring some specific and meaningful error code or warning identifying the root problem(s) becomes difficult.

Avoid making any more changes or installing any software. Let Windows 10 catch up with its updates. Then run the built in Windows 10 troubleshooters if necessary to perhaps find and fix other issues. And there may be some installed applications trying to update themselves as well - some AV app or backup app for example.

Awesome thank you kindly! I really appreciate it :) Hoping for the best! I will run the troubleshooting after everything catches up. Thank you for helping me! I really appreciate it.

inmantisaiah

Reputable
Feb 8, 2019
Update:

Hmm - 80 retired blocks in 4 hours. Looks like the drive could be overheating.

Use Intel SSD toolbox to diagnose the drive.
Check, if latest firmware is installed.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28593/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox
I downloaded the toolbox, did a quick scan, got an error, checked for latest firmware, downloaded 2/3, restarted and got the same bluescreen, it self restarted and showed i needed to download an OS, I hit F2 system diag, it restarted and went to system diag, i hit exit and it restarted and fully booted.

I'm going to finish installing all updates and then run a full ssd scan.

View: https://imgur.com/a/rLUO3tu

inmantisaiah

Reputable
Feb 8, 2019
Warranty situation.
If no warranty, then replace the drive.

Okay here is the result of the full diagnostic scan. I've had this maybe 16 hours total lol. Do you guys think I should contact my school? They just got this shipment of laptops in about a week ago. I think they ordered enough to get a deal but I'm not entirely sure generally how warranties work and which ones you get. Would they have some kind of out of box warranty they could cash in on do you think? They mass ordered from HP. Or do you think I should directly cash in on the warranty?

View: https://imgur.com/a/3qCcLRC