Question Critical Process Died BSOD - Can't boot normally or into safe mode

Apr 14, 2019
As of the last days, I've had an issue with getting WHEA BSODs, apparently it was caused by having a driver from 2015 which is not compatible with Windows 10 anymore. I installed the free software DriverPack that automatically updated the driver to one from 2016, but I installed a whole lot of drivers which was recommended by DriverPack. After reboot I just keep getting the Critical Process Died BSOD while Windows Logo is loading, also can't boot up Safe mode. I created a restore point before I even installed DriverPack. But there's no way for me to access to that restore point. Any idea of what I could do in this situation?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a handy boot drive

should be able to get to that restore point

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick the restore point it created and roll back

free software DriverPack

what is that? 3rd party app? never a good idea to use 3rd party apps to update PC as they often do what this one did, give you extra stuff you don't want, and break things

Critical process died is a painful error as it might even stop system restore from working anyway. the files affected are needed for logging into windows or simply starting PC.

Apr 14, 2019
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a handy boot drive

should be able to get to that restore point

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick the restore point it created and roll back

what is that? 3rd party app? never a good idea to use 3rd party apps to update PC as they often do what this one did, give you extra stuff you don't want, and break things

Critical process died is a painful error as it might even stop system restore from working anyway. the files affected are needed for logging into windows or simply starting PC.

I made an installation of fresh Windows 10 on my PC but everytime I boot it within the first 2-3 minutes I get a BSOD. First one I got said WHEA Uncorrectable Error, the other 3 times that I tried it the BSOD was Clock Watchdog Timeout. Also I don't get ANY bsod if I boot into safe mode I can be there for hours no problem.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtNxUqSedeG7bxAvjG4xjKKur_w (Minidump RAR file on OneDrive of the 4 BSOD)

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/vAII.html
File information:041519-8125-01.dmp (Apr 15 2019 - 13:31:20)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unknown_Module_00000000`00000000
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:041519-5796-01.dmp (Apr 15 2019 - 13:28:42)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: OneDriveSetup.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:041519-5343-01.dmp (Apr 15 2019 - 13:47:03)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File information:041519-4281-01.dmp (Apr 15 2019 - 13:44:55)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)
Possible System page: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AE/content/support-product/4240?b=1

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
de ja vu... you know, I helped someone with virtually same PC a few weeks ago and looking at bios versions available was what hit me. This page reminded me further. I would normally suggest updating bios but unless you know which version you had before, it may not work well, and could break PC.

Desktop versions:
P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

So lets not do that yet.

So all these errors are hardware errors, and if you just finished a fresh install, we can't blame the driverpack anymore unless you used it again after?

So lets see what we can tick off as not the problem. It working fine in safe mode likely proves its not the CPU but we might as well start there - Try making this on another PC - http://www.tcsscreening.com/files/users/IPDT_UEFI/ since you can't run it in safe mode

it seems strange that 3 of them were all to do with Onedrivesetup.

So perhaps it is your hard drive.
in safe mode, open Comamnd prompt (with admin rights)
type chkdsk c: /f /r and press enter

mainly running it to see if it finds any bad sectors.

it might be ram but most ram errors are far more random
Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. - it creates a bootable USB so no need for windows.

TRENDING THREADS