Question Critical Process Died While Gaming Suddenly

awott10

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Yesterday I started getting a BSOD of Critical Process Died while gaming. It doesn't happen right away, and it seems to vary in time, but it always seems to happen within 5 minutes or so. Also, it always freezes a bit before and a few times I have had a window pop up asking me if I wanted to end the process for Windows as it was not responding. Then it BSOD.

The first BSOD I received, actually, was a Bad System Config info error. Reformatting and putting Windows 10 on a fresh install appears to have fixed that, only to lead to the Critical Process Died errors I am getting now.

-I have run scannow but was mostly met with this message after it verified 100% "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operations." In safe mode once I was able to get scannow to go completely and it said it fixed some corrupted files.
-I have run chkdsk
-I am unable to run DISM. Every attempt just gives me Error 3. One time I got error 50.
-I have deleted all partitions on this harddrive and reformatted, installing a new Windows 10.

My specs:
Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5
Processor: i7 4790K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card: 1070ti Gigabyte
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
Hard Drives: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (this has Windows on it); WDC WD10EZEX; Toshiba HDWD120.

The only new piece of hardware is the Samsung SSD. I installed that a couple of weeks ago and only began having issues yesterday.

I'd be grateful for any advice or help anyone can provide. Let me know if you need more information.

EDIT:

Checking out the event viewer, I see a bunch of DCOM errors 1084 and 1115.

Here is a link to all the errors: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/124ULsWjUUSU9gnTN05dh4qkNR0yMkFSrx-C1CHRzE9Q/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if there is a better way for you all to look at the information. Thanks.

Last edited:

awott10

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I have been testing with DOTA 2 and have just received this error while the game was freezing this time:

AsyncCaption_t::LoadFromFile_Internal():
Invalid file id for resource\subtitles\subtitles_crystalmaden_english.dat.

I am going to try a new game now to see if the problem persists there as well.

awott10

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I can no longer access that drive with Windows on it, the Samsung SSD.

I had Windows installed on the WD, so I tried several games that were crashing while using the Windows on the Samsung, and I got no crashes.

Is it possible that the SSD is the issue?

Or, is it possible that the boot media I used could be the culprit? As in, it wasn't made correctly or that Windows version was a problem?

I ran a couple of harddrive tests on that SSD and they found no issues.