Critical Process Died - Windows 10. Tried multiple methods with no success.

tjf1

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Specs:
HP Envy x360 Convertable
i7 8550u
12gb ram
256 SSD

Recently, my laptop has been crashing with the “Critical Process Died” error.

It happens randomly, sometimes not for a few hours, other times right on startup.

I’ve tried the following methods:

- chkdsk /f
- sfc /scannow (usually crashes before this finishes)
- Clean boot (still crashed, which leads me to believe this is hardware related :( )
- reinstall of windows through system restore

Next I’m going to try a clean windows install from a bootable flash drive, using the HP image backup (I’m not sure if I should use the ISO straight from windows, as I’ve heard from HP it’s better to use their image as the system it uses and windows are directly linked). I have a strong suspicion that isn’t going to work though :(

Any surefire ways to tell this is hardware related? I’ve used some diagnostic tools and every test comes back clear.

This all started recently, after I left my laptop on for longer than usual (overnight for a few days). There was proper ventilation and I was also using an external fan, but I’m starting to think that it might of got too hot and damaged something?

Idk. Any other ideas of what I can try / do to test it?

I really don’t want to send it back to HP as school is starting soon :(

Thanks!

EDIT:

So I tried using Seatools by seagate. Harddrive came back with no errors.

Memory test came back all clear too.

Curiously enough, when I try to run chldsk /f /r, it halts at 11% then restarts itself back to windows after bit.

I don’t know what to make of this.

I tried doing the reinstall through HPs image and I’m still experiencing the issue. I think I’ll try the fresh install from a windows ISO using a flash drive and see how that works, but I won’t hold my breath. I think it’s done for

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
This is a difficult question to answer without hands on. The simplest cause is a background process which Windows relies on has become corrupted. The difficult cause is Hardware failure like SSD/Motherboard etc. If you are at the Clean install stage of your troubleshooting, once this is complete and the issue is still manifesting then hardware is the cause. There are plenty of steps you can take prior to clean install . 1)Disable Sleep and Hibernate in your Power Setting 2) Update Your Drivers 3) System File Checker tool. 4) Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool. 5) Clean Boot- a start-up mode which uses the bare minimum number of drivers, processes, and programs. Once your computer is running, you can start to load the missing processes in a bid to isolate the problem. 6) Update the BIOS. 7) Nuke and Pave- Clean instillation of windows

tjf1

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Clean booting still produced the error.

I tried using Seatools by seagate. Harddrive came back with no errors.

Memory test came back all clear too.

Curiously enough, when I try to run chldsk /f /r, it halts at 11% then restarts itself back to windows after bit.

I don’t know what to make of this.

I tried doing the reinstall through HPs image and I’m still experiencing the issue. I think I’ll try the fresh install from a windows ISO using a flash drive and see how that works, but I won’t hold my breath. I think it’s done for

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

tjf1

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
sfc /scannow said it found some errors, but it was unable to fix some of them

Also ran /Dsim

And chkdsk, still crashed at 11%

Still crashing intermittently.

I guess clean install is next

DarkEngine