Critical Process Died

May 29, 2018
Last week my PC (I5 8600k, GTX 1070, Asus Z370-E, Samsung PM961 m.2) started randomly shutting off completely however after restarting would normally last the rest of the day just fine.
That was until a couple days ago where every time I boot I get the windows blue screen with Critical_Process_Died error message. Windows then tries automatic repair which fails and just goes to a troubleshoot menu.
I've tried system restore however doesn't work as I get the message "You must enable system protection on this drive. Reset also doesn't work just get message "there was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made". Go back to previous version also doesn't work. Launching in safe mode also brings up the blue screen so cant get to the login at all. Any suggestions would be great thanks

Hello jake.williams297

When automatic repair fails, on the Automatic Repair window that comes up next, click Advanced options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

In the Command Prompt window, type CHKDSK D: /R and press Enter.

If this doesn't help, back on the Command Prompt window, type SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\ /OFFWINDIR=D:\WINDOWS and press Enter.

Wait while SFC scans for and repairs any errors.

Cheers!!

Did you happen to catch the bug check error code (e.g. 0x000000EF or 0xEF)?
Any changes made when the issue started?
If you are unable to run the Automatic Repair within your OS then try from a USB installation media.
Boot from the USB and when you see the Install Windows page, click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.

May 29, 2018

Hey, thanks for the reply

After running the chkdsk command I get the message "windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action required"

After entering the SFC commands I get the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

Any other commands that might work or is using a usb media to repair my best option? thanks

Hello again

Looks like the only solution to the "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" is to run the CHKDSK /R again again as explained here.

Simply put, please run the CHKDSK command first, and then run the SFC command.

Usually D: is the system drive when you boot into Command Prompt externally. You can check this by typing D: and pressing Enter, and when you're at D:\>, type DIR and press Enter again. If the list displays your Windows, Program Files, Users, etc. folders, you may be on the correct drive as long as no other operating system is installed on your computer.

If you can't find the folders in D:\, try gong to C:\. If the folders are in C:, you can replace D: with C: in the CHKDSK and SFC commands.

Cheers!!

May 29, 2018

Hey, tried it once again with sfc straight after chkdsk but sadly got the same error message. Windows is on my C: drive so used C: in all the commands. Thanks for trying anyway.