Question Critical Process Died

Jan 5, 2022
Hey Guys-

Happy New Year.

I've been experiencing a bunch of crashes in the last few weeks. Usually something to the effect of "critical process died". I've tried reinstalling windows from the repair tool and some other remedies from the web - dskchk etc. nothing seems to work.

There were numerous other intermittent hardware issues, peripheral issues, but often I would just reboot and things would kind of work them selves out - like magic.

Well - I'm all out of magic.

The computer hangs on boot, opens bios where there are no drives listed.

When I get to the troubleshooting/repair tools the prompts have changed, there isn't an option to restore or reinstall windows anymore. I only see startup repair ; command prompt; uninstall; UEFI Firmware settings; system restore; system image recovery. None of these tools are useful - I'm assuming because it can't find my OS. When I enter command prompt the only drive designation is x:\.

I'm hoping replacing the hard drive is going to solve the problem. I've read it could be the SATA controller, so I was thinking of getting an M.2.

Kind of a two part question:

1. Could this be a hard drive issue and is it plausible replacing the hard drive may resolve the issue?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/z390 phantom gaming 4s/index.asp

Any help is appreciated

Thanks so much

Last edited:

Latest posts