Critical Process Error on fresh install

chredwdew

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Had a m.2 ssd crash on me returned for a new one and I am trying to do a clean install of windows 10. (don't care about the files had all files backed up on a nas only losing programs I can reinstall.)

I can not get windows to start installing before getting the critical process error. I can not get to the repair options menu to even try that.(not that the repair options would even work because its a new ssd or Hdd)

I cleared the cmos on the motherboard - same isssue
I have tried installing to another standard hard drive - same issue
I have tried using the Microsoft dvd - same problem
I have tried using the USB windows creator - same problem
I have tried installing without the graphics card - same problem
I have tried switching out the ram to different positions and configurations - same issue

Bios shows all components working fine.

help :)

Tom_T1993

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
You may need to flash your BIOS to the latest version for full compatibility with newer m2 SSDs, my 960 EVO was striken with performance issues until i got the latest drivers and flashed my BIOS.

Although you mentioned a failure to install on another disk, I'm worried that your CPU could be malfunctioning, but considering you get that far, it's more likely something else is wrong.

Firstly, are you installing the correct version of Windows, it will be most likely 64 Bit, but it's possible to have the wrong copy, so check your CPU for whether it's 32 or 64 bit, googling it will probably see you right.

Secondly have you ever installed an operating system to that machine before, you remarked "crashing" your original m2, did you have the same version of windows that you do now? And how did you kill fhat ssd in the first place?

chredwdew

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
thanks for the quick response.

The CPU is the new I7-7700 Kaby Lake so 64 bit. Had windows installed (64 bit) and running fine for two weeks until the ssd crashed.

the SSD crash started with virtual memory or page file warnings. Checked in bios and RAM was fine - had cpuz installed and everything hardware wise looked perfect. Finial after about a day I got into the loop of critical error - figured replace the ssd and reinstall windows.

I was skeptical that its that SSD but after getting the same result with other drive not sure what else it could be. the RAM boots up and shows in bios fine - usually if its bad you won't get that far and the motherboard will throw out an error code.

Not really sure how to check out a cpu - if it runs it runs lol thats really the only test or issue I have ever had with one.

chredwdew

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
I7 7700k Kaby lake
Asus Maximus code IX
Corsair Vengance 2X16 3000mghz
1070 Asus Strix graphics Card
EVO 960 - 500gb
WD Blue 1TB (That is unplugged during all install trys)

chredwdew

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Yeah tried all the ram configs with one or two different slots. Yes and reset the entire bios to default ram mhz to 2400 no xmp,

CPU runs around 33C (at least thats whats shown in bios) Corsair H115i.

bent pin in the mobo, are you talking the cpu slot? I have not unseated the cpu since install. I might try that and take a look. Any suggstion on what I would be looking for exactly.

Again thanks for all the quick responses and the help.

rgd1101

Don't

just looking for something not contacting the cpu.

Tom_T1993

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
I wouldn't recommend uninstalling a CPU unless you have nothing left to check, it just doubles the chance of socket damage and contamination.

Try flashing your BIOS first of all, as i said these new NVMe's have had issues, and your HDD could have problems of its own, although it would be a hell of a coincidence.

If flashing the bios succeeds, try another install, worst case, try only memory+cpu+ssd+power and have another go.

chredwdew

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Thanks for talking through this and helping me think this through out loud.

I gotta believe it has nothing to do with the ssd as I am not even getting to the option to chose an install disk.

It has to be something from the base components as that is all that is involved when the error comes up.

Ram runs ans boots up the bios so I want to think that is not the problem - it has to be in the MB socket or the CPU. (I believe that the communication lanes for RAM need to run through this socket also so maybe that is why this is acting like a memory problem????)

I am going to pull the water block off and pull the cpu and see if my untrained eye notices anything. Will report back with results.

chredwdew

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Ok so pulled the cpu apart. I could not see anything out of the ordinary. Had the wife double check (she has better eyes than me.) Not bent viable pins either side. tried it just for fun and same old story.

Looks like I am going the replacement route piece by piece. I will update when I switch out the one bad piece and find out what was causing all this. (either that or I will replace everything and will still have this error then you can look me up in the local insane asylum.)

Tom_T1993

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Could you provide an image of what happens when you try and install the operating system?

I'm curious to see what's going on, at what point of the installation is it failing?

chredwdew

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
OK so it has been about a week. Switching out the CPU did it. Not sure what went wrong with the CPU itself. Just know that replacing it did the trick.

Only thing I can think that went wrong on my part is the origional Water cooler pump was doa. Took me around a minute to notice when I first fired up and cpu temp had hit 100C. But it worked for too weeks after that just fine. Not sure if that initial stress for a few seconds shortened its lifespan or if it was doomed out of the box.

Thanks again for listening and helping think this one through.

May 20, 2018
Hi,
Glad to hear that there’s someone else, having the same exact problem.
So I also get this error when trying to install windows 10 on my PC. I planned to reinstall it, because I got many weird graphical failures on my screen and my pc just got unusable from one minute to the other. No whenever I try to install it, I get the critical error dies message. I also have the i7 7700(k) and the Samsung 960 Evo SSD together with 32gb of Corsair DDR4 RAM, the MSI GTX 1080 and the MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon Mainboard. I’m struggling with this problem since two weeks now and also exchanged my power adapter and RAM sticks. My next step was to exchange the Board, but hopefully the CPU will do it. I was also using a water cooler. (be quiet Silent loop 240) and also had to exchanged it (made weird noise). The CPU was overclocked to 5.0Ghz but I could keep it at around 75 Celsius when using Prime. Thanks for helping
Phil