critical system died message

Fiona_6

Prominent
May 3, 2017
My son was deleting files and when I tried to start the computer I received a message saying that the computer was not started correctly and the auto repair would check it out. Then it switches to a blue screen and the message is Critical system died. Offers restart or advanced options. I cannot do anything because the mouse, keyboard and disk drives and usb drives do not work. I tried to gat a command prompt but that is impossible. My computer is an Acer Aspire with windows 10
Has my motherboard crashed?

Solution
The thing with USB keyboards is, that most of them doesn't support Legacy mode and doesn't work until Windows starts the USB driver. PS/2 keyboard, however, doesn't need any drivers to work and works once the system is powered up (e.g during POST).

PS/2 keyboard should enable you to access the BIOS during/after POST.
This is also the sole reason why i keep at least one working PS/2 keyboard around, just in case my Corsair STRAFE RGB mechanical keyboard may not work during troubleshooting, despite it having Legacy support.

I think that you don't have internal speaker connected since at normal startup, you should hear 1 short beep.

To get your system working again, here's what i'd do:
* My first order of business would be to disconnect...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your MoBo is fine, as is the rest of hardware. What isn't fine is the Windows 10.
Since your son deleted some files, he probably also deleted some key files of the Windows itself. That's why your laptop doesn't work anymore and you'll get "Critical system died" BSoD.

Win 10 clean install (aka reinstall) would fix your laptop but you'll loose all data from the system drive due to this.

Fiona_6

Prominent
May 3, 2017

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do you get access to the BIOS? Also what's the full specs of your PC? If you don't know the full specs of your PC and provided that the PC hasn't been upgraded, then knowing the model number also helps, e.g Acer Aspire M5201. Then, i can look up the specs from net.

Fiona_6

Prominent
May 3, 2017

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Does your keyboard use PS/2 or USB port to connect to your PC?

If you could get access to your BIOS (by tapping Delete during or after POST but before boot up), then you could change the drive boot priority to ODD or USB, thus enabling you to reinstall your OS, either from CD/DVD or USB flash drive.

Also, when you start your computer, do you have internal speaker connected and do you hear any beeps during POST?

Fiona_6

Prominent
May 3, 2017

Fiona_6

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Keyboard uses a USB port. I don't hear any beeps upon start up. I've tried tapping F12, then I tried tapping F8. Then I tried tapping delete. All to no avail. Totally stumped.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The thing with USB keyboards is, that most of them doesn't support Legacy mode and doesn't work until Windows starts the USB driver. PS/2 keyboard, however, doesn't need any drivers to work and works once the system is powered up (e.g during POST).

PS/2 keyboard should enable you to access the BIOS during/after POST.
This is also the sole reason why i keep at least one working PS/2 keyboard around, just in case my Corsair STRAFE RGB mechanical keyboard may not work during troubleshooting, despite it having Legacy support.

I think that you don't have internal speaker connected since at normal startup, you should hear 1 short beep.

To get your system working again, here's what i'd do:
* My first order of business would be to disconnect the sys drive from this PC and connect it behind 2nd PC as data drive, so i can take all my personal data (documents, pictures, videos etc) off from the drive and i won't loose them. Once the personal data is secure or there is no vital data on sys drive i need, i'd continue with fixing the PC.

* I'd borrow (or buy) PS/2 KB to see if i can access BIOS. If i can access BIOS, i'd set the ODD or USB as 1st priority boot device. That done, it's just matter to use Win 7/ Win 10 install DVD or Win 10 USB installer flash drive. Though, creating the Win 10 USB installer flash drive needs 2nd PC since i'd need to download the Win 10 ISO from Micro$oft and make USB flash drive as bootable drive.
Micro$oft link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

* But if the PS/2 KB doesn't work and i can't access the BIOS then things get trickier. Here, i got few choices that require 2nd PC as well.
1. I can either take the sys drive out from the unworking PC, connect it to 2nd PC, install the Windows onto the transferred sys drive but without activating the Win and then transfer the sys drive back to the unworking PC to get it running again. After that, it's just matter of activating Win and installing the MoBo drivers with all other applications.
2. Or if i can't use the original sys drive due to drive failure reasons, any other SATA drive would also do. With 2nd drive, my steps would be same as in #1 but instead the sys drive, i'd use 2nd drive. Though, i'd need to connect the drive back to the same SATA port in unworking PC since that SATA port has the 1st boot priority in the BIOS.

* Without 2nd PC, i can't recover my personal data nor i can't install Win on other PC. In this case, i'm only left getting PS/2 KB in hopes to access BIOS, so i can reinstall the Win from Win install DVD.

If you don't have enough knowledge about transferring the sys drive to 2nd PC or you don't have a 2nd PC, then i suggest you take your PC to PC repair shop, rather than taking on this ordeal by yourself. In the PC repair shop, you can ask to recover your personal data as well with additional fee.

Solution

Fiona_6

Prominent
May 3, 2017

Fiona_6

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Thank you. I don't have a PS/2 keyboard and it is becoming a little too much for me so I'm going to take it to my tech friend. I appreciate all your help.