[SOLVED] CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION

May 2, 2020
Hello,
I've been getting a bunch of these BSODs for a very long time. It's been fairly frustrating to try and figure out what's been happening since the PC hangs long before it manages to dump any sort of meaningful logs as to why the BSODs occur. I've only had one exception where it actually managed to dump when CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod happened. These BSODs usually happen at startup. As for the other one, let me explain later.

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED usually occurs at startup for me, as soon as I log in. I've never managed to get a dump file, but I had a very lucky incident where it actually dumped something worthwhile. Here's the download link to the minidump file. Upon startup, the PC locks up shortly afterwards, explorer.exe is unable to be interacted with and becomes unresponsive. Other windows also become unresponsive, then the screen turns black. Sometimes I'm still able to move my mouse, but the black screen and unresponsiveness is usually a sign that the BSOD is about to occur. Bizarrely, the BSOD doesn't happen if I open up a game that's CPU and graphically intensive, as soon as startup happens. And doesn't happen the entire time I have the game on. But as soon as I close out, my PC will inevitably run into either CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, or the second kind of BSOD... UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION, when I'm just randomly browsing the internet or watching videos on Youtube. I can do those things with the game being on, but when there is no game running, 99.9% of the time it will result in a BSOD. Even leaving the PC alone with no game running has resulted in a BSOD. Otherwise, nothing happens when I afk with the game running.

UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION on the other hand happens at random times, after the game I'm running is closed. This BSOD also DOES NOT happen when I'm running games on it. I have never been able to get a dump file out of this. I have tested my RAM and SSD extensively, with CrystalDiskInfo showing 100% health, SeaTools showing no problems and memtest showing no errors. It's an extremely bizarre problem that I haven't been able to figure out, since I don't know anyone with the same problems I do. I haven't heard of anyone who's had BSODs as a result of lack of load on the PC. The PC is otherwise usable when I have a game running.

I've considered reinstalling Windows, but herein lies the other problem that I have. I was trying to reinstall Windows 10 using the mounted ISO, and all is well until it just tells me there's an error and it failed because it couldn't apply the image. What happened during the reinstall process was that my PC restarted shortly after the updates, but instead of restarting normally it went to the UEFI screen. Now, my PC has some weird issue where soon after the PC shuts off/restarts it doesn't boot to the SSD, it just goes straight to the UEFI settings. Exiting out of the UEFI simply loops back to the UEFI settings. When the UEFI is in this perpetual state of loop the SSD is NOT detected. The only way that I can make it boot into the SSD is by waiting a few minutes before pressing the power button again. Now this is a problem because there's a bunch of restarts happening during the Windows re-installation process, and instead of going back to the boot device it goes to the UEFI, and since it's in a perpetual loop in the UEFI I have to power cycle to get out of the loop. This causes the installation to fail. I'm at a loss. With this weird SSD and UEFI loop problem, I can't reinstall Windows. I do not have a USB to reinstall Windows at the moment, and it's kind of hard for me to get one right now due to current events and whatnot. I'm willing to provide any other information if need be.

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASRock B360M-HDV
GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX580
CPU: i5 9400
SSD: SAMSUNG MZVLB256HAHQ-00000
RAM: A single stick of 8GB DDR4 at 2666MHz. No idea what the brand is.

From WhoCrashed:
On Fri 5/1/2020 12:17:38 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050120-6625-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C2390)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFF8802CE3F3480, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 5/1/2020 12:17:38 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!_chkstk+0x37)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFF8802CE3F3480, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .
Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Solution
I've considered reinstalling Windows, but herein lies the other problem that I have. I was trying to reinstall Windows 10 using the mounted ISO, and all is well until it just tells me there's an error and it failed because it couldn't apply the image. What happened during the reinstall process was that my PC restarted shortly after the updates, but instead of restarting normally it went to the UEFI screen.

Now, my PC has some weird issue where soon after the PC shuts off/restarts it doesn't boot to the SSD, it just goes straight to the UEFI settings. Exiting out of the UEFI simply loops back to the UEFI settings. When the UEFI is in this perpetual state of loop the SSD is NOT detected. The only way that I can make it boot into the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I've considered reinstalling Windows, but herein lies the other problem that I have. I was trying to reinstall Windows 10 using the mounted ISO, and all is well until it just tells me there's an error and it failed because it couldn't apply the image. What happened during the reinstall process was that my PC restarted shortly after the updates, but instead of restarting normally it went to the UEFI screen.

Now, my PC has some weird issue where soon after the PC shuts off/restarts it doesn't boot to the SSD, it just goes straight to the UEFI settings. Exiting out of the UEFI simply loops back to the UEFI settings. When the UEFI is in this perpetual state of loop the SSD is NOT detected. The only way that I can make it boot into the SSD is by waiting a few minutes before pressing the power button again.

Now this is a problem because there's a bunch of restarts happening during the Windows re-installation process, and instead of going back to the boot device it goes to the UEFI, and since it's in a perpetual loop in the UEFI I have to power cycle to get out of the loop. This causes the installation to fail. I'm at a loss. With this weird SSD and UEFI loop problem, I can't reinstall Windows. I do not have a USB to reinstall Windows at the moment, and it's kind of hard for me to get one right now due to current events and whatnot. I'm willing to provide any other information if need be.

I think we need to fix this and then we can see if BSOD survived a reinstall. windows sounds pretty broken now.

Is there anything on PC you want to save?
Do you have an installer on USB? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
since it doesn't like working in windows, we could boot off the installer and use the repair menu to copy stuff off the ssd

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

if windows is utterly broken, might be best to wipe ssd and start clean
Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

Some motherboards have a way to boot off USB once and then it goes to ssd on all following boots, but I can't see that in your manual. https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B360M-HDV.pdf
you might need to put USB as 1st and ssd as 2nd in boot order - what is showing in it now? Can I get some photos? (upload to an image sharing website and show links here)
have a look at page 68, whats showing in CSM now? CSM lets PC swap its boot method which might explain why it goes into a loop.

Install should copy the files onto ssd, and then restart, and from then on use the SSD. What can sometimes happen is it just loops the install and restarts USB. It can help to remove USB just as PC asks for a restart and then it should use SSD from then on.

Solution
May 2, 2020
I think we need to fix this and then we can see if BSOD survived a reinstall. windows sounds pretty broken now.

Is there anything on PC you want to save?
Do you have an installer on USB? If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
since it doesn't like working in windows, we could boot off the installer and use the repair menu to copy stuff off the ssd

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

if windows is utterly broken, might be best to wipe ssd and start clean
Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

Some motherboards have a way to boot off USB once and then it goes to ssd on all following boots, but I can't see that in your manual. https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B360M-HDV.pdf
you might need to put USB as 1st and ssd as 2nd in boot order - what is showing in it now? Can I get some photos? (upload to an image sharing website and show links here)
have a look at page 68, whats showing in CSM now? CSM lets PC swap its boot method which might explain why it goes into a loop.

Install should copy the files onto ssd, and then restart, and from then on use the SSD. What can sometimes happen is it just loops the install and restarts USB. It can help to remove USB just as PC asks for a restart and then it should use SSD from then on.
Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm typing this while on my PC right now, with a game running in the background. Windows isn't broken in this bizarre state, in fact it acts like there's nothing wrong at all and I can continue doing even normal work on it. It's extremely stable. But when there's no games running it's pretty likely to BSOD. Unfortunately I don't have any USB in my house right now, and it's pretty difficult to go out. I already have a Windows ISO primed, I just don't have a USB. I'll still provide the images from the UEFI screen though. Note that these don't appear when the UEFI reboot loop happens (happens after a hard reset after BSOD or sometimes when restarting the PC), this is from UEFI actually recognizing the SSD through the Advanced Startup restart option in Windows 10.
View: https://imgur.com/a/w5Kkgkn

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://potablesubstance.htmlpasta.com/

File information:050120-6625-01.dmp (May 1 2020 - 00:17:38)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: services.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/b360m-hdv/index.asp
You are using BIOS version BA1.11X.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows Boot manager should be top choice. If drives set up as GPT, then the WBM would include the necessary details to boot off the ssd.

I wonder what defaults of CSM should be. Some bios manuals at least say that much, yours didn't. All it has is a photo
yours is Legacy, Legacy, Uefi
Manual is legacy, UEFI. Legacy

Its getting late here, I can't tell if this problem is 2 parts:
  1. windows won't restart right
  2. BSOD

or if its same thing. I will look when I have had some sleep.

May 2, 2020
windows Boot manager should be top choice. If drives set up as GPT, then the WBM would include the necessary details to boot off the ssd.

I wonder what defaults of CSM should be. Some bios manuals at least say that much, yours didn't. All it has is a photo
yours is Legacy, Legacy, Uefi
Manual is legacy, UEFI. Legacy

Its getting late here, I can't tell if this problem is 2 parts:
  1. windows won't restart right
  2. BSOD
or if its same thing. I will look when I have had some sleep.
I checked my drives and they are indeed GPT, and not MBR. As for the CSM thing, if need be, I'll change it when I have the time and see what happens. I have no idea what these do and the manuals don't cut it. I tried looking for what they mean on the ASRock forums to no avail. Though I have set it back to factory default settings quite a few times now and Legacy Legacy UEFI is what they came up with. I do think it's independent of the BSOD problem because the BSOD problem was a far longer issue than the boot problem. I find that it's more common when a hard reset happens. Restarts prompted in Windows are hit or miss. Forced reboots are usually a miss.

May 2, 2020
I've tried setting it to Legacy UEFI Legacy. Nothing really changed, I still have the same boot problem after a BSOD. I still get UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION after I close out of any games I'm running. The only way I can get the PC to be stable is to run a game in the background.

May 2, 2020
Update: I've reinstalled Windows. But on the first few seconds of startup I still run into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. What gives... I'm not even sure which is the faulty hardware now. I tested the SSD with Seatools' Long test and it came out fine, memtest didn't see anything, and even if it did I'd probably would have had a lot of issues installing Windows had it been a faulty ram, so what could it be? I'm beginning to think it's the SSD, but I'm also beginning to think I should also switch to Linux because of my pure annoyances with Windows.

May 2, 2020
I have been distracted the last few days...

Switching to linux would at least show us if it is hardware. It would appear it probably is as that error should have been fixed by a reinstall.
run this on ssd - - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/magician/ it can benchmark, and update firmware. Also check smart scores
Turns out it's probably not even SSD. it's probably one od the drivers. Safe mode with networking works without a BSOD. I'm burbing Manjaro to the usb drive right now. Also Magician doesn't work because apparently it's not considered a real OEM product or something? It has a fatal error when running the installer. It has support for the 960whatever EVO drivers but not for my SSD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
according to a review I read its because Magician doesn't support OEM drivers like this one, I hadn't run into that before - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-pm981-980-nvme-ssd,5323.html

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD -
that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

May 2, 2020
according to a review I read its because Magician doesn't support OEM drivers like this one, I hadn't run into that before - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-pm981-980-nvme-ssd,5323.html

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD -
that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
So I tried to install Manjaro on my SSD, and it failed. I did sudo dmesg to see what was happening in the kernel and...
unknown.png

And various other I/O errors... Yeah. The SSD is dead.