[SOLVED] Critique This System!

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
My potential video editing build. Please critique and offer suggestions to lower cost/improve performance. I have no idea if I need this motherboard but pcpartspicker show it not needing bios update or anything and I don't know how to do that, so I chose it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $304.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard | $139.99 @ B&H
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $112.29 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $89.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive |-
Video Card | Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4 GB WINDFORCE Video Card |-
Case | NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | EVGA BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $84.94 @ Office Depot
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $108.78 @ Other World Computing
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $910.96
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-02 15:15 EST-0500 |

Solution
I would Strongly advise that you do NOT buy Corsair Vengeance RAM for this Ryzen Build.
For some reason a LOT of users have issues with getting that RAM to run at it's rated speed on Ryzen systems.
And 16 GB is plenty if you are Not going to run software that really needs a lot of RAM.

I would look at a kit that G.Skill states is compatible with that motherboard and CPU.
A 3200 or 3600 Ripjaw V kit should work well for you.
https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=10&cls=1529635169&adSearch2=Capacity§32GB (16GBx2),Capacity§16GB (8GBx2),Tested_Speed§3200MHz,Tested_Speed§3600MHz,&manufacturer=1524715120&chipset=1592294701&model=1592295406
My potential video editing build. Please critique and offer suggestions to lower cost/improve performance. I have no idea if I need this motherboard but pcpartspicker show it not needing bios update or anything and I don't know how to do that, so I chose it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $304.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard | $139.99 @ B&H
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $112.29 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $89.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive |-
Video Card | Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4 GB WINDFORCE Video Card |-
Case | NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | EVGA BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $84.94 @ Office Depot
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $108.78 @ Other World Computing
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $910.96
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-02 15:15 EST-0500 |
pretty solid.The GPU is a obvious bottleneck here if u want to do gaming,but it can still run any title on atleast most settings on low/off.Good choice in the cpu,its a powerhouse,u have more ram than u will ever need but that fine,mobo is good,psu is enough,i like the storage solutions,i would choose a different case but h510 will do the job just fine.Yeah,nice build overall.

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
pretty solid.The GPU is a obvious bottleneck here if u want to do gaming,but it can still run any title on atleast most settings on low/off.Good choice in the cpu,its a powerhouse,u have more ram than u will ever need but that fine,mobo is good,psu is enough,i like the storage solutions,i would choose a different case but h510 will do the job just fine.Yeah,nice build overall.

Thanks! I'm glad there's no glaring issues as this is my first build and I want to get it right. The reason I've added that GPU to the list is just because it is my current old gpu which I'm going to add to my new system just temporarily until maybe early 2021 and get a new GPU, possibly one of the new AMD 6000 series. I don't game at all it's just for video editing so hopefully should be good. :)
Maybe 16gb of ram is enough? What case do you think is a better option?

Thanks! I'm glad there's no glaring issues as this is my first build and I want to get it right. The reason I've added that GPU to the list is just because it is my current old gpu which I'm going to add to my new system just temporarily until maybe early 2021 and get a new GPU, possibly one of the new AMD 6000 series. I don't game at all it's just for video editing so hopefully should be good. :)
Maybe 16gb of ram is enough? What case do you think is a better option?
16GB is enough,or should i say its the base standard for 2020 and lets say 3-4 more years,by buying 32Gb's now wont do too much,but id still get 32gb to still be sure for future.
Here are my case reccomendations:

Lian Li LANCOOL II-X

Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh

Phanteks Eclipse P400A

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would Strongly advise that you do NOT buy Corsair Vengeance RAM for this Ryzen Build.
For some reason a LOT of users have issues with getting that RAM to run at it's rated speed on Ryzen systems.
And 16 GB is plenty if you are Not going to run software that really needs a lot of RAM.

I would look at a kit that G.Skill states is compatible with that motherboard and CPU.
https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=10&cls=1529635169&adSearch2=Capacity§32GB (16GBx2),Capacity§16GB (8GBx2),Tested_Speed§3200MHz,Tested_Speed§3600MHz,&manufacturer=1524715120&chipset=1592294701&model=1592295406

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
The only thing I'm not a fan of in this build is the mechanical hard drive. Unless you need that much storage, for your build it would be a bottleneck. I would instead go with the 1TB boot drive and then a 2TB M2 drive for storage. If you get a better motherboard like the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Ultra then you get a third M2 slot and that would provide for some added storage benefits.

Reactions: Archaic59

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
I would reccomend upgrading that gpu to the rx 6700xt or 6800xt when those come out, and you may wish to add another drive to run in raid 1 as a backup so you dont lose all your data if your hdd corrupts or dies on you, other than that seems like a decent system.

Edit : actually i have a critique, dont buy windows 10 for 100$ thats a waste, instead you can buy the pro edition on ebay for around 2-5$ so thats the only critique i have, you can apply this is you want to build a new system

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019

Is this ram any good? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N43CYMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bgwOFb4JWXQ3T
I can't see your recommended ram on Amazon uk

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Reactions: rdpc

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
The only thing I'm not a fan of in this build is the mechanical hard drive. Unless you need that much storage, for your build it would be a bottleneck. I would instead go with the 1TB boot drive and then a 2TB M2 drive for storage. If you get a better motherboard like the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Ultra then you get a third M2 slot and that would provide for some added storage benefits.

Sorry I don't fully understand this, could you explain it? My plan was to use the 500gb M.2 drive for the operating system and basic files etc., plus for whichever video files I'm currently working on/from, and then just use the 3tb HDD for storage. Would this be a bad idea? I've heard people talk about scratch disks and stuff before but I don't really know what that means. Would I be better just getting an external hard-drive for storage and one 1tb of M.2 for everything?

g-unit1111

Titan
Sorry I don't fully understand this, could you explain it? My plan was to use the 500gb M.2 drive for the operating system and basic files etc., plus for whichever video files I'm currently working on/from, and then just use the 3tb HDD for storage. Would this be a bad idea? I've heard people talk about scratch disks and stuff before but I don't really know what that means. Would I be better just getting an external hard-drive for storage and one 1tb of M.2 for everything?

Scratch disks are really just to offset load times for working with large Photoshop and Premiere files. It's not really a necessity but for your uses it would be a benefit.

The thing with mechanical hard drives is that they're slow and outdated technology. The only reason you would use one right now is for anything over 4TB of storage, but anything under 3TB, I would go straight M2. When working with large files the speed benefits of M2 far outweigh the costs, even though M2 is getting significantly cheaper than it was in previous generations.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I mentioned windows file history earlier and this is where mechanical hard drives would shine even when used with m2 SSD drives in the computer as the actual speed for this drive doesn’t matter as the transfers are done in the background and won’t affect your primary drive speeds in any way. But the ability to store multiple versions of your files at once automatically can potentially save your butt.

The multiple versions of a file help out if something happens to it and it ends up corrupted you may be able to salvage a earlier version. Or you screwed up so badly you hope to have a earlier version to use.

It’s no replacement for a proper offsite backup but it is a good first line of defense.

I suffered 2 HDD failures back to back around 10 years ago and lost well over 1tb of data forever. But I was lucky enough to have transferred all the family photos to another PC 2 cities away. So if it seems strange with me emphasizing backups this is where it comes from as I don’t want people to lose something they worked hard on.