Cross Site Attack, when trying to log-in to Toms hardware with I.E!

MrBlackandWhite

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi guys

I have been trying to log in to the forums all day on and off but more often than not the site/my browser was behaving oddly. I kept getting the message 'cross site attack detected' in the message window when trying to post a message. I am on Win 8.1 and I'E 11 i think. Just booted up today for the first time.

Sounds ominous!

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Is this an error message that our site, Tom's Hardware, is generating for you? Could you post a screenshot of it?
Or is this a pop-up error message? That's a very unusual message to receive, and my first thought is you might be affected by Malware. Might want to investigate on that angle first.

-JP

MrBlackandWhite

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Hi yes it was when i was trying to click on the 'post answer' button when replying to post in the forums. The message appeared in the box that usually contains the message that I tried to type- the message was exactly the same font just plain text!

Not really much else I can say. I am now on a v old laptop as my newbuild didnt go according to plan :( Lets just say I have to order another motherboard. It is not mine and I am not au fait with how to take screen shots. I would imagine its too late now. There is however an article on it I think in the news section somewhere - on the cross site attack thing.

I ran malwarebytes, Norton was up to date and I made sure I installed all relevant win updates before going on the internet so the chances of being infected with malware is highly unlikey I think?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Unfortunately, no. It's been a year, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but nobody on our end was able to reproduce this, and no other reports of this came in. Since you never returned to provide screenshots or report other instances of it, and nobody else has brought this up, the matter was dropped. Hard to investigate or resolve something that, as far as we can tell, can't be reproduced.

Is this happening once again? Are you able to provide more details on it this time?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Fully understandable, but there's little we can do with the provided details. Given that we couldn't reproduce it and that no other reports of this have surfaced, coupled with the fact that it hasn't occurred for you again, most signs seem to point to this not being an error on our end, though we could be wrong. Not much we can do about this right now, unfortunately.