crossfire 3rd party graphics card with stock graphics card

elpidgeo

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Hi,

i've currently got a stock 2GB AMD Radeon HD 7870 in my rig and im struggling to find a second stock model at a reasonable price to crossfire this with.

I was wondering then other than makig sure that both cards run at the same clock speed would I run into any issues if I installed a XFX AMD Radeon HD7870 2GB Double Dissipation Edition to crossfire with my stock model and if so does anyone have any suggestions of a better model to buy?

my system specs are:
ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard
i5 3570k 3.4 (overclocked to about 4ghz)
stock amd radeon HD 7870 - 2gb
600W be-quiet psu
8gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

let me know if you need any further information

many thanks
sam

Solution
That would be fine. AMD cards can be mixed as long as they have the same GPU. (and I believe memory size) Put the fastest of the two cards in the first slot to use as the master. I recently had dual HD 7870 (x8,x8) in the rig in my sig below. They were FAST. Faster than the single R9-290X I have now.

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
There would be no problem, as long as it works as it should. Usually, the second gpu(the xfx DD) just downclocks itself to the lower clock of the other card, and this should be done automatically i believe.

Would you run into any problems? - Probably not

Other models? - I really like asus, and no matter what i would recommend them(fanboy-ish :S)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That would be fine. AMD cards can be mixed as long as they have the same GPU. (and I believe memory size) Put the fastest of the two cards in the first slot to use as the master. I recently had dual HD 7870 (x8,x8) in the rig in my sig below. They were FAST. Faster than the single R9-290X I have now.

Solution

illuminatuz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
no.. your only closest GPU will be a r9 270.. but that's based on a different core..

Curaçao and the 7970 is based on Pitcairn.. so they will not match up either..

You must find another 7870 for x-fire..

elpidgeo

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Thanks for you answers everyone, they have been a great help.

I think I will go with the xfx model then unless anyone has any better suggestions for around the £140/£150 mark.

I did think of swapping oit for a new model but I have found in other forums and benchmarks that unless I am going to spend some serious money then I can get the same or better graphics power from two 7870s running together.

Thank you for mentioning about the power supply though I had wondered if I would need to upgrade, do you have any suggestions on a reasonably prices 750w PSU?

What is the exact model of your PSU? I'm 90% sure a 600W will not run Crossfire.

Do not go for that, when he said Corsair he meant to exclude the RM and CX series (correct me if I'm wrong). They use bad capacitors and have a higher failure rate than the other PSUs clutchc mentioned.

elpidgeo

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Brill, I've had a look at both and they both seem to have their merits, though I may be tempted to spend the little extra and get the semi-modular psu just to try and keep my case tidy.

Just on a quick unrelated note, as I'm new to this forum. When I click the score button on the side it is only allowing to put a score of 1 on each answer, is this just an issue because I'm using my phone or is that how it works on here?