Thermotek 750 tough power
Asus m4a79 deluxe
Phenom2 x4 955 3.2ghz
4gb ddr2-800 ram-2 Stixs
2 hard drives
2 4870 GDDR5 512mb
2 dvd-rw
1 wireless lan card PCI

Ok ever sence i went crossfire my computer 100% freezes. I cant even change the screen on my g15 keyboard. Even when I'm not doing anything on it. I have to hard reset it every time. Also its very random when the freeze happens. I removed 1 card and the computer ran fine so i switched cards and still no problem. I'm not getting a error in the performance monitor and i have tried waiting it out. The cards have the led on them and they stay green while locked up. The fans slow tho and all sound stops. I have tried running the gpu fans at higher lvl's with no result. All my drivers and bio's are up to date.

If anyone can help that would be great. I am tired of this struggle.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Not really sure on this one so I'll just toss out some ideas. Hope one may help...

Have you checked the temp of the bottom gpu? My bottom 4870 runs about 15-20 degrees hotter than my top one. Could be overheating...

Have you tried one card in each one of the PCIe slots to make sure you don't have a bad slot?

Don't think it would matter, but are you using both crossfire bridges?

Hah, thermotek :D

Anyway first make sure that you put the crossfire bridge on properly. You only need one so if you have two try one, then the other. Could be the one your using is bad. Uninstall your drivers, run drive cleaner pro, and then install Catalyst 9.8 (or I guess 9.9 is the new one).

cometone

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'm not sure its power or heat. The computer jams even when I'm not at it and its idle. its even jammed in screen saver. I only have 1 bridge on it and have swapped it out. I have tried the drivers and currently running 9.9

My top video card is 70c idle and bottom idles at 60c The bottom is the newer one with heat pipes. I have tried setting the fan speeds to 50% and still get jams. Is there a way to tell if its the motherboard? I got it when I went crossfire so i haven't tried the cards together before it.

cometone

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Yes and yes. 9.8 was what i ran before 9.9.

If it helps I was listening to music last night when it jammed and the music stuttered when it jammed then went silent.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Well, I'm running out of ideas. The only other things I can thing of to try are using 1 stick of ram at a time to see if one could be bad, or checking with memtest. Also, if you have a friend with a more powerful psu, perhaps you could swapping? I think that the power supply you're using is near the minimum for your setup. Also, is anything overclocked?

Edit: Sorry, thought your power supply was 650 watts. I would think that, unless it's a bad unit, your psu should be ok.

cometone

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hey everyone,

I swapped my dual 4870's for a single 3870 and my computer still locked up. So i have reinstalled vista on my second hard drive. Hopefully this works. Thanks for the support.

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

Good luck, let us know if you find the problem.

cometone

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hey everyone.

I have had some new developments in the last few days. First I discovered that my bios were not the latests so i updated them from 1401 to 2206 and NOW instead of a full lock my computer locks then restarts. As usual the performance monitor acts like nothing happened. Also the computer only locks in the first 2 hours then runs great as long as i don't turn it off for a bit!. I have pc probe running and have not seen any temp/vault spikes before lock. I hope this helps a little.