jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
In about a month...i will take the .00001 mile trip from the couch to my computer, will hop on the egg.com, and buy a few new toys to upgrade my gaming rig.

My specs:
Cooler Master Scout
ASUS p6t
6GB DDR3 Triple-Channel 1600mhz memory
I7-930
Cooler Master V8
1TB Hitachi Deskstar
DVD-Burner

@ the time of purchase, i will be adding a 80-160gb SSD, a second 1TB drive, a second 5850, and ill be swapping out the dvd burner for a bluray combo (bd-player, dvd burner).

I will also be swapping out my power supply....obviously my stealthxstream 700w was a budget buy and i didnt have the money for a nice one at the time!

I need something that is going to handle the upgrades...and i cant really find anything out there that talks about the requirements for crossfire 5850s, and both ssd and hdd hard drives.

I would very much like a modular PSU (space is tight as it is in my CM Scout, so modular is a must.) and id like if it didnt cost me more that $150 USD. Are there any suggestions? I dont have the money for a new case. =(

Brand/Model suggestions and guidelines would be greatly appreciated. After this, i wont be upgrading the system at all...so theres no sense in 200 watts overkill. Please suggest something that can run everything at max load. (I dont overclock either.)

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and Antec TruePower New models which are a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.