[SOLVED] Crossfire Compatibility

Oct 25, 2020
I have a r5 2600 with a gigabyte ds3h wifi and a 1650 super, 16gs ram. I was sent two two rx 580s from my friend who used to but coin mine but stopped. So you think it is even worth changing from the 1650 super to the two 580s. If so what size of a crossfire should I get?

Solution
Crossfire hasn't seen any real support in any games since before the Rx580 was released, and even then it was pretty miserable, averaging 10% - 20% higher fps, at best.

Windows 10 natively supports mgpu through DX12, you'd need to use a DX11 title to get Crossfire to function, and results can vary from very little gain to actual negative impact.

Consider Crossfire and SLI as functionally Dead. There's a reason that only the 3090 still has an nvlink, all other 3000 series cards are devoid of sli ability.

As is, a 1650S and Rx580 are close enough in ability to be functionally the same thing. Win some/lose some. The 1650S wins more than the 580, but differences are game depending and not huge.

There's currently only 1 advantage...
Multi-video card setups don't guarantee a significant performance improvement. And in fact it's the exception to see anything close to 2x. So you could try it and see how much of a improvement you get, but keep this in mind.

It's also worth mentioning other issues that arise such as:
  • Increased heat load in the case
  • Increased power consumption of the PSU (if you don't have enough PCIe plugs, then don't do it)
  • Microstuttering

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Crossfire hasn't seen any real support in any games since before the Rx580 was released, and even then it was pretty miserable, averaging 10% - 20% higher fps, at best.

Windows 10 natively supports mgpu through DX12, you'd need to use a DX11 title to get Crossfire to function, and results can vary from very little gain to actual negative impact.

Consider Crossfire and SLI as functionally Dead. There's a reason that only the 3090 still has an nvlink, all other 3000 series cards are devoid of sli ability.

As is, a 1650S and Rx580 are close enough in ability to be functionally the same thing. Win some/lose some. The 1650S wins more than the 580, but differences are game depending and not huge.

There's currently only 1 advantage right now to having ownership of those 2x Rx580's, the ability to put them up for sale on eBay and make a few $$. Other than that, there's no point in changing your pc to accommodate either or both.

Solution