[SOLVED] Crossfire doesn’t work?

bbrandon02

Prominent
Oct 24, 2020
I thought having two of the same cards would somehow boost performance but whenever I disable crossfire my game runs smoother I have two xfx rx 570s a tomahawk max motherboard and a 700w Corsair power supply and 5th gen cpu. Either I don’t know how to configure or tamper with crossfire to make it smoother or what. Any help would be appreciated

Solution
Seconded ^
Not a lot of modern games are configured to run in SLI or crossfire, those days have then since been long gone.
Also using 2 or more GPUs at the same time will of course split the available PCI-E Lanes that those individual GPUs receive.
It is just ideally much better to just use 1 powerful GPU, utilize its own full x16 PCI-E lanes.

Not all games works well with multy-gpu setups, some will hqve lower performance compared to a single gpu usage. In this days it is not worth anymore to use more then 1 gpu for gaming (trust me until last year had 1080 ti in sli and it was A PAIN IN THE A** for gaming, but in my work was a considerable performance boost).

Reactions: King_V
Seconded ^
Not a lot of modern games are configured to run in SLI or crossfire, those days have then since been long gone.
Also using 2 or more GPUs at the same time will of course split the available PCI-E Lanes that those individual GPUs receive.
It is just ideally much better to just use 1 powerful GPU, utilize its own full x16 PCI-E lanes.

Solution
I thought having two of the same cards would somehow boost performance but whenever I disable crossfire my game runs smoother I have two xfx rx 570s

this is one of the major issue with multi GPU. they give you higher frame rates. but that higher frame rate is useless if frame time end up being all over the place. and even if they were fixed in driver there is no guarantee the next driver will not going to break the initial fix.

Either I don’t know how to configure or tamper with crossfire to make it smoother or what

CF rely heavily on driver support. AMD stop supporting crossfire completely around 2019 when they first launch RDNA1 based gpu. i don't think there is anything you can do about those smoothness issue you're having.

bbrandon02

Prominent
Oct 24, 2020
Thank you guys for the replies, I am able to put my game settings higher though since I have two cards so I guess they still work together without crossfire