Crossfire my 5850 for BF3?

Yadumadoda

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I'm on a single 5850 right now, and I honestly can't wait for BF3 to come out, as I absolutely love Bad Company 2. I'm playing on 1680x1050, and I play above 60 fps at mostly max settings on Bad Company 2. I would love to play at max settings, or close to max settings on Battlefield 3 when it comes out, so should I crossfire my 5850?

If I don't crossfire my 5850, I'm planning on just waiting until the next generation of ATI and/or Nvidia cards come out, and upgrading through there, but I don't know when that is happening.

Solution
with my personal experience with crossfire 6870s I would advise to stick to single card and imo a 5850 should be enough for bf3 at 16X10, although others will tell you otherwise I was very pissed with problems that were consistent throughout several driver releases; the bottom line is that crossfire drivers (for 6870s at least) sucked and so I was fed up, sold them both and bought a single gtx 570, have not looked back since. I'd stick with what you have and wait for the AMD 7000 series and nvidias 600 series, then pick up a single powerful gpu.... for now I think that a 5850 is a pretty good amount of power given your res... what cpu are you running? Im thinking that bf3s engine will be slightly more demanding then bfbc2s engine but...
with my personal experience with crossfire 6870s I would advise to stick to single card and imo a 5850 should be enough for bf3 at 16X10, although others will tell you otherwise I was very pissed with problems that were consistent throughout several driver releases; the bottom line is that crossfire drivers (for 6870s at least) sucked and so I was fed up, sold them both and bought a single gtx 570, have not looked back since. I'd stick with what you have and wait for the AMD 7000 series and nvidias 600 series, then pick up a single powerful gpu.... for now I think that a 5850 is a pretty good amount of power given your res... what cpu are you running? Im thinking that bf3s engine will be slightly more demanding then bfbc2s engine but likely very similar performance wise, again all just speculating

Solution
My guess would be late 2011 or early 2012, maybe sooner but sometime around then from what I've heard so far, they should offer a decent performance boost over current gpus from what I've read but in the end we will not know until they are released and benched :) now the waiting game, personally I'm curious to see if I will be replacing my gtx 570 by then end of the year, and my guess is probably not... the current demand for graphically intensive games is just not there quite yet but if dx11 gets pushed into full swing it will be interesting... my .02 cents