Crossfire not working on Asus z97 WS mobo, but single config does.

Kdownen

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
When using my Sapphire R9 290x gpus on my Asus z97 WS the second GPU is not being used. But, in single config both cards work in either lane. I've done all I can on my own, help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Not certain, but there is a setting in the UEFI BIOS (make sure you open it or switch it from EASY mode to ADVANCED mode) relating to PEG. Make sure that is set, I believe, to PEG PCIE.
Also, did you set up crossfire in the Catalyst Control Panel.
And one more small thing; is it in games that you are noticing only one card being utilized? Some games are not developed to use Crossfire/SLI, or it has to be selected in their options menu, or a Crossfire or SLI profile has to be downloaded from the video card people (AMD in your case).
Hope something I have listed helps.

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
did you disable ulps? If you are using the sapphire trixx over clocking utility, there is a option to disable ulps. Once you do that you should be able to see both card loaded to idle load in ccc on startup.

Kdownen

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I appreciate your responses, however, I notice that my original post had not been loaded on everything I have done to trouble shoot.

I've tried both cards in single config in either slot, proving that both cards work separately, as well as the PCIE 3.0x16 lanes both work seperately.
I reverted back to driver 14.4 (since it isn't in beta and 14.7 didn't worth previously) for both cards.
I FINALLY updated my bios to 0901, which still isn't the latest, but was supposed to stabalize capatability for gen 3 PCIE cards.
I ensured that xfire WAS enabled in CCC.

What is happening is when playing games/running benchmarks I am getting frames that I should be getting with one card. Last night when testing again in the Heaven benchmark, which is optimized for crossfire, I was only getting around 55 frames and when touching the fins to the heatsink on the second card, they were cold which I assume means the GPU isn't being used despite the fans spinning.

Update: After changing the bios to 0901 I ran the Heaven benchmark again and I'm only getting a miserable 33 frames. Again, I have 2 Sapphire R9 290x.....

Specs:
i7 4790k
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 hz
2x Sapphire R9 290x Gpus
1000watt Rosewell PSU

Kdownen

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

I attempted to disable ULPS and upon doing so, I lost the option to Crossfire in CCC and don't believe the second card is being recognized any longer. Is this part of disabling ULPS?

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
How did you disable ulps? Did you use the sapphire trixx utility or alter the registry? If you altering the registry make sure you did not accidentally also disable cf. Disabling the ulps should not cause to lose cf in ccc. Disabling ulps ensure that your second card will always be loaded on startup and not remain at zero core and memory

Kdownen

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

The only thing I had done is disable it in Trixxx, and after renabling it, I actually STILL don't have the option to crossfire. I did go into the BIOS to look at the other suggestion by NoStall to change the PGE, but don't believe I had changed anything.

Kdownen

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Not sure what had happened, I got it back to enable crossfire but uninstalling and reinstalling the card drivers. I currently have ULPS disabled, however, it still is not helping the second card in running during CF. Once again, the card works as it should in single card config, as well does the lane that it is in.

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
Is your second card showing the default core and memory value or all 0 in ccc? It should be the default idle value if ulps is disabled properly. If you are not already using Sapphire Trixx utility, try it works for my sapphire 280x cf. Very simple to use. When I use msi afterburner, my second card will always remain at idle. 290x cf should be awesome. Hope to see it works for you because thats what i want get later!

AnimalMuther

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Im actually just checking to see if your issue has been resolved? I am having an almost identical problem with 2 sapphire radeon hd 6870's and a asrock extreme4 mobo. ive tried almost all of the same things you have, checking each card seperatley, checking each pcie slot and whatnot. No matter what I have tried i cant even get the crossfire option in ccc. Ive tried 14.9, 14.4 and 1 earlier version and no luck with any. When i check cpuid, no matter which card goes where, 1 card always reads 0 for core and memory. If anyone is still following this and has any advice that might help i would really appreciate it. Ive been trying for over a week to solve this now. Thank you

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
Try to do a clear cmos, attach the cf cable and restart. For me despite doing everything else, it was only after doing a clear cmos that i was able to see the option for cf in ccc.You must also disable ulps. You can do it inside msi afterburner or sapphire trixx. If you are using msi afterburner to apply any setting, you should do it to the individual card instead of choosing synchronise option.

AnimalMuther

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
I not sure how to clear cmos, or what ulps is, but from your earlier post it looks like i can do that thru trixx. i'll google how to clear cmos. and thanks a lot for the quick reply. if for some reason that ends up not working for me i will post it in here. thanks again

Superlp12

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2013
You can clear cmos by removing the battery and putting it back or your mobo might have a clear cmos switch of sort. Just remember to switch off pc and unplug power cord from pc before you clear cmos. Disabling ulps is a lot more straightforward using trixx but then it might be because I am all the while using Sapphire cards from day one. I have successfully switch to using the msi afterburner as I realize that I had to apply changes on the individual card instead of synchronise setting.

AnimalMuther

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
well, i actually have a reset cmos button on my I/O panel. I shut down, unplugged the power cable, and held the reset for about 10 seconds. i disabled the ulps thru the trixx program, and still cant get the enable crossfire option in ccc. im really just at a loss now. i just spent $400 on upgrades to be able to run the 2nd card, it starting to piss me off right now.

Time to talk to ASUS customer support, by telephone to a real person, and/or Sapphire Customer support. The simple fixes are not, obviously, working; either of the two parts could have a flaw. Give it a try and tell us what they say or if they RMA your parts.

AnimalMuther

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
I think Im gonna try a clean install of window in the next few days. If that doesnt help I will call the 2 and see what they have to say. Ill let you know what I find out. Thanks again for all your help.

bishopi5

Distinguished
Why don't you monitor the GPU usage with a program? Going off the fact that you are getting less frames then you should does NOT mean you're 2nd card isnt working, Bottleneck could be coming from anywhere. The 2nd card will ALWAYS be colder then the first as it never really scales the same, and if the 2nd card is being bottleneck'd by something it will "feel" cold

TRENDING THREADS