Crossfire older card or get new card?

dg1972

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Mobo has Pcie 2.0 slots. (Asrock 970 Extreme 4)
Have a HD7870.
Should I just get a new card, or spend less to get a 2nd HD7870 (or R9 270x) to Crossfire them?

Solution
Spend the money and get a new more powerful single card. I just got rid of my dual rx480's as I just wasn't getting the benefits I was looking for in the games I was playing. It's also less complicated and uses less power/gives off less heat then two cards.
However if the games you are playing take advantage of crossfire and those are the only games you are playing then it could be beneficial to you and probably cheaper.

1 single powerfull card is always better than running multiple and having no way of knowing if game x will even benefit from it.

TheDoog

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Spend the money and get a new more powerful single card. I just got rid of my dual rx480's as I just wasn't getting the benefits I was looking for in the games I was playing. It's also less complicated and uses less power/gives off less heat then two cards.
However if the games you are playing take advantage of crossfire and those are the only games you are playing then it could be beneficial to you and probably cheaper.

Solution