CrossFire-on-a-Stick

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Thats the previous high end. When the 6600GT came out, the x800 series was out from ATI. Same with the 7600GT. They might not have come out at the same time, but they were close.

I'm not saying the 8600GTS is a bad card, just overpriced. Knock the price down to $150ish, and you've got a deal. Its silly to buy a card right now just because it supports DX10. By the time DX10 games come out, there will be much better cards out.

150ish is LOW?
If they Launch at 150 and replace the 7900gs i will be quite pissed. I say 130, maybe

Insane_Maniac

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Was pretty cool to read about. When someone is done with the crossfire on a stick, just put that stick over a hot warm fire and let the sweet smell of plastic, metal and silicon overtake you. :p

ninjahedge

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Questions:

Would this card be merely a precursor to trying to integrate both GPU's on a single chip rather than on a single board?

They pretty much have the layout, tehy may just be trying to consolodate and work things out.

Also, could ATI be shooting for the "want a new card, but do not want to "upgrade" to vista yet" crowd?

What if their card competed with the 8800's and was slightly cheaper AND did not need DX10 or Vista (complete with unresolved driver issues and higher system resource needs)?

Are they looking for a sweet spot with this, and possible future cards in this line?

You calling me stupid? heh joking.

Anyway, this whole deal seems to be a bad idea. It is not designed well (at least at this time).

What I want to see is the r600. Seriously. If Saphire is going to engineer a card all by themselves, ... how about making a r600 card before ATI. Can it be that hard?

brownlove

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I knew there was something amiss. 2 of these processors have to do better than 1, and performance results are pitiful in this review. Check out this review however - different platform, different perspective. Forgive me if you guys already knew about this.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/X1950_Pro_Dual

THG guys, I appreciate what you do. I'm learning to check several reviews before I make an opinion - other sites test hardware on different platforms, and in this case it makes a huge difference. That's not a put down at all. Hopefully it will add another level to your testing procedures.