Crossfire Problems ?

PacosTacos88

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
I know these are old cards but I wanted to upgrade my performance without spending $300+
I started with one Radeon r7 265 and found another from a friend for cheap. I just installed the new one with a crossfire bridge and the CCC allowed me to select Crossfire. But when I run the benchmarks, my performance didn't increase and whichever card I put in the bottom PCI slot, the fan almost never runs. I did only have one PCI power plug from my power supply tho and had to buy a splitter, could that be the problem? I have a Corsair cx430 which I think would have enough power?

Solution
Your PSU is not meeting your power needs. Upgrade the PSU to a quality 650w (or stronger) unit and then assess.

CF, especially with lower end GPUs, is far from awesome. Don't have huge expectations for performance gains given this config.

PacosTacos88

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from PacosTacos88 : "Crossfire help with dual r7's ?"

I know my hardware is a little dated but a lot of money is not something I have for PC stuff. I had an R7 265 and found another for pretty cheap. CCC shows they're in Crossfire but when I run a new benchmark, it doesn't jump up any and whichever card is on the bottom, the fan hardly ever runs. I only had one PCI power cord and had to use a splitter cable to run to both cards. Could this be why it's not working? I have a Corsair cx430. Thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your PSU is not meeting your power needs. Upgrade the PSU to a quality 650w (or stronger) unit and then assess.

CF, especially with lower end GPUs, is far from awesome. Don't have huge expectations for performance gains given this config.

Solution