Azteck

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Hey everyone, ok my question is Im wanting to put a few more lights in my HAF X case but I think I am borderline for wattage on my system.
I am thinking of going with a 1000 watt PSU. Right now I have a Thermaltake 750 watt Toughpower modular. It is an older one which I herd the older ones are the better ones. I haven't had any problems with it.

Specs of system is: I7 2600K OC'ed @ 4.5GHZ
Corsair H100
ASUS Sabertooth P67 board
16GB crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracers ram
Ballistix Dual fan adapter to cool Ram
2 x 6950 2gb video cards OC'ed
X-Fi Titanium sound card
DVD player
BluRay player
Kingston 128GB SSD
Seagate 1TB
PSU 750 thermaltake toughpower
4 coldcathode lights
6-120mm fans(4 are LEDs), and a 240mm fan in front
Wanting to add some Flexible LEDs strips to my system.
I modded my case and put a window on both sides of case.

Now I have ran the extreme Power Supply Calculator and said I a minimum 687watt and a recommended 737 watt PSU

Ok so my questions are Should I upgrade to a higher watt power supply for what I have and wanting to do?
Was thinking of going with a 1000watt PSU?
Also was thinking of a Seasonic PSU, I have heard they make the higher end PSUs for other companys.

Solution
SeaSonic PSUs are the best of the best and you would do very well to get a good PSU from them. If you think that the Corsair HX/AX series looks remarkably simliar to the SeaSonic X series that's because SeaSonic makes them. They also make PSUs for XFX and some for Antec.

If you want to see how a PSU holds up check HardOCP and see if they've reviewed it. They love to review PSUs from the major manufacturers as well as some lesser known brands.

As far as your requirements go, adding a few more lights won't be an issue, they don't draw a lot of current. I have an older Thermaltake Toughpower 850 in my old desktop and its been running like a champ for over 6 years. It seems kinda silly to buy a new PSU just for the sake of buying a new...
SeaSonic PSUs are the best of the best and you would do very well to get a good PSU from them. If you think that the Corsair HX/AX series looks remarkably simliar to the SeaSonic X series that's because SeaSonic makes them. They also make PSUs for XFX and some for Antec.

If you want to see how a PSU holds up check HardOCP and see if they've reviewed it. They love to review PSUs from the major manufacturers as well as some lesser known brands.

As far as your requirements go, adding a few more lights won't be an issue, they don't draw a lot of current. I have an older Thermaltake Toughpower 850 in my old desktop and its been running like a champ for over 6 years. It seems kinda silly to buy a new PSU just for the sake of buying a new PSU. If it's still running after you install the new lights, then there's no need to buy a new one.

Solution

Azteck

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
I reran the PSU calculator and says 757watts minimum and 807 watts recommended.
Just looked on the PSU I have and has 4 12v rails @18 amps a piece.
You guys don't think Im border lining it. Just wanting to make sure.

Not at all. Those PSU calculators are extremely conservative and will often sum up the worst-case power usage of each component. This isn't a bad idea because it will prevent a system from ever having too little power even in the worst possible situation but it will often overshoot actual load usage by as much as 33%. Additionally, most good PSUs should be able to deliver up to 120% of their marketed power stably.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Your PSU wattage is fine, my system runs perfect with a 650W. As mentioned above, adding lights and fans won't make a big difference.

As for getting a 1000w is total overkill.

If you want to replace your PSU, then go for a Corsair HX/AX or Seasonic 750/760W Platinum or Gold rated PSU. They normally come with a 7yr warranty

Azteck

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Thank you very much guys. Just wanted to make sure. Didnt wanted to blow my system. You know when a PSU blows it Blows. I've seen them take out motherboards,CPUs, DVD drives etc...
Just wanted to get your thoughts. I build computers but none have as much stuff as what mine has. Thank you and appreciate your thoughts guys