Crossfire Radeon HD 4850

G

About a 1.5 years ago when I built my current PC I put a Radeon HD 4850 in it. I have now decided that it isn't cutting it anymore and would like to put another Radeon HD 4850 in it. But I have a few questions about this.

First of all, I have a Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 (1Gig) and the only available Radeon HD 4850 that I can buy is a 512MB Asus Radeon HD 4850. Will these work okay together, given the different manufacturers and memory?

Secondly, is there a guide on the internet explaining exactly the process used to set up crossfire? For example, when to install drivers, when to install the second graphics card, etc.

Third, I think I will need a new power supply. I have a 400W one that came with my thermaltake case. What wattage would be recommended for two 4850's? Would a 750W PSU be overkill?

Thanks.

G

I forgot to add, will I have any problems with heat doing this? My current 4850 idles at 45C according to CCC.

And what will I be missing out on by now having a video card that supports Direct X 11? Especially considering I am buying Bad Company 2 soon, which utilizes DX11? It is going to be cheaper for me to buy another PSU + another 4850, and I will get better performance (than say a 5770).

davidblatt

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
James,

Did you get a response to the inquiry? I also have a HD 4850 (512MB) and want to add a second... does the difference of manufacturer matter? along with you question on the memory size?

pcwizard96

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
as far as heat goes you may be able to mount an extra 80 or 120mm fan on the inside of the case cover door thing or you can get a fan that mounts in a pci slot and blows on your cards they are both cheap ways to cool your case. you can also make sure you have an intake fan. most cases come with only an output which is on the back . an intake usually mounts on the front bottom. you just have to turn your fan so that it sucks air into the case and your rear fan blows it out. this makes air blow over all of your pc parts.