[SOLVED] Crossfire Rx 480

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
What psu would I need to crossfire two Rx 480s I know they both need a 6 pin for power just what wattage because different sites say different things

Wolfshadw

Titan
AMD RX 480 Specifications Page

Power recommendations for a system with one card is 500 watts. Since the card itself can consume up to 150 watts (75 watts PCI-Ex16 slot + 75 watts PCI-E 6-pin power connector), if you add a second card, you should be looking for at least a 650 watt power supply.

I would note, that multi-GPU support is going away and I wouldn't recommend spending a lot (any) of money on it.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Mezoxin

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
AMD RX 480 Specifications Page

Power recommendations for a system with one card is 500 watts. Since the card itself can consume up to 150 watts (75 watts PCI-Ex16 slot + 75 watts PCI-E 6-pin power connector), if you add a second card, you should be looking for at least a 650 watt power supply.

I would note, that multi-GPU support is going away and I wouldn't recommend spending a lot (any) of money on it.

-Wolf sends
Ok thanks and what do you mean by multi-gpu support is going away the card is only around £100 and it's really the only good thing I can get for the money because all the other cards are around £500

Ok thanks and what do you mean by multi-gpu support is going away the card is only around £100 and it's really the only good thing I can get for the money because all the other cards are around £500
Support for crossfire and Sli has been in decline for years. Many games don’t support it and of those that do the performance gains are often low. I saw an article recently for Sli and of games of recent years that support Sli the performance gains on average were around 30%. When you add in other issues that can occur such as stuttering and then the extra power and heat requirements multi gpu setups have not been recommended for gaming for several years. Although cheaper this could be £100 wasted if the games you play don’t support crossfire or don’t support it well.

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
Support for crossfire and Sli has been in decline for years. Many games don’t support it and of those that do the performance gains are often low. I saw an article recently for Sli and of games of recent years that support Sli the performance gains on average were around 30%. When you add in other issues that can occur such as stuttering and then the extra power and heat requirements multi gpu setups have not been recommended for gaming for several years. Although cheaper this could be £100 wasted if the games you play don’t support crossfire or don’t support it well.
Ok I know my Rx 480 is worth around £100 because I have kept it in good nick is they any good card I could get for around £200 maybe £250

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
I also don't mind buying used and get alot of my stuff apart from CPUs from cex or ebay

Deatbstrike19781

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
I’ve not owned a Vega 64 so recommend you find reviews. Personally I don’t think it’s a good choice given it’s power needs and heat from the reviews I have seen.
Ok thanks alot I'll do some digging I have a psu with 2 8 pins so I could use it (700w) the Vega 64 and 1660 are the same price round (used with warranty ) I'll just have to find out which is better