Dec 19, 2019
System
R5 3600
RX 570 8gb Sapphire Nitro
800w gold PSU
16 gb 3200mHz RAM
1TB HDD
512 gb nvme

Hey y'all. So I have access to another identical 570 and was wondering if it would be worth putting them in crossfire to gain some performance. I stream COD and several other games and with one card I drop frames during stream and it makes it frustrating. I was wondering if since I have the other card available if it would help with the problems I am having. I am not super well versed on crossfire so I need some help figuring it all out. Thank you

Solution
If you want to use a second GPU for streaming, see if your streaming software and CODECs have a GPGPU-based rendering and encoding pipeline option that you can set to use the 2nd GPU. That is likely the most useful way to use a 2nd GPU for streaming.

InvalidError

Titan
For the most part, multi-GPU is obsolete: Nvidia and AMD have mostly quit developing implicit multi-GPU and very few games are bothering with multi-GPU support of any kind. Some games actually perform worse with SLI/CF or even fail to run due to the overheads and quirks of making two separate GPUs behave like one.

As Djoza wrote, try it if you want, just don't expect anything - results will vary wildly from game to game.

You would be better off getting a single stronger GPU like an RTX3060 which also gets you NVEnc to help with your stream encoding.

KrumyMPG

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
For the most part, multi-GPU is obsolete: Nvidia and AMD have mostly quit developing implicit multi-GPU and very few games are bothering with multi-GPU support of any kind. Some games actually perform worse with SLI/CF or even fail to run due to the overheads and quirks of making two separate GPUs behave like one.

As Djoza wrote, try it if you want, just don't expect anything - results will vary wildly from game to game.

You would be better off getting a single stronger GPU like an RTX3060 which also gets you NVEnc to help with your stream encoding.

I would love to get a 2070 or a new 3060 but just don't have the funds for it at the moment. I am trying to sell my older pcs to upgrade, but I was wondering if for now this could help. The motherboard does support it, and I know a lot of games don't support sli/crossfire. i was just hoping having two GPUs could help with some of the streaming load.

InvalidError

Titan
If you want to use a second GPU for streaming, see if your streaming software and CODECs have a GPGPU-based rendering and encoding pipeline option that you can set to use the 2nd GPU. That is likely the most useful way to use a 2nd GPU for streaming.

Solution
AMD completely kill CF support in their driver. if you want to use CF you need older drivers. and even that is mostly restricted to older game since there is no CF profiles for newer game on those older drivers. if you're having frame rate issues while streaming sometimes it might not related to GPU.