crossfire same fps as old damned graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I just bought a powercolor 2GB HDMI Ati Radeon HD 5450 and had before a built in darned video card that couldn't play the lowest games now My FPS on Crossfire NA was below 80 but no difference after buying the graphics card at All I installed the drivers

I have a doubt it's either my ram which is 1.5 GB or the whole motherboard or Computer since it's really old brand HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower
Please help I don't want my money to be in vein.

Solution

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Not following here
I have that on my desktop itself,as when I go to Properties Settings there are two Radeon Ati configs

What I meant was that I had an Intel built in Graphics chipset family
Now when I bought that Radeon Its FPS is just the same

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

First: It reaches 20 and Freezes alot Second: It's my graphics that really suck

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

So you're saying I have no choice but to buy a new Desktop?
Please,Anything? My ram..processor,if changed could it improve?

Even though the 5450 specification suggest 2-way crossfire is supported, I don't see any cards for sale out there that allow crossfire.

Did you add the 5450 to your system on which you were using integrated graphics prior?

A 5450 is not going to give you great gaming performance whatsoever, but it may play videos a little more smoothly than an old integrated graphics solution.

And it's not just your lack of RAM, but your architecture, in general, that's going to slow everything down on the P4 system. If you want to game with modern titles, it's definitely time for you to upgrade.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'm not following this. You say you have a Crossfire setup but it sounds like you upgraded to a dedicated GPU from Intel integrated graphics? If you're using just one GPU, that ain't Crossfire (and no, your Intel GPU doesn't count as a second one).

What resolution are you playing at to get 80fps? I'd be happy with that...I play BF3 at 60fps and it does me. But as said above, a 5450 isn't a good gaming card so you shouldn't expect much in the way of performance. Something like a 7770 would be better, although your system is quite aged...it will likely limit the performance gain any new GPU would give you.

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Windows downloaded it for me off the Driver CD.but I definately will try the site itself ty

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

omg I think you all got me wrong xDD Crossfire is an online fps game :D

If you change out your motherboard to at least an H61, H67, z68 or z77, processor to at least a i3-2100 and pick up at least two sticks of 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, you'd see very little difference unless you also upgraded the video card to a radeon 7850 or radeon 7870. At that point, you're pretty much looking at redoing the whole thing because you'd also have to consider replacing the power supply that came with the HP and so on...

I know it's not good news, but sorry to say it's the truth.

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Look I don't really need the best gaming just a better way of it since I couldn't play games like Tomb Raider Anniversary Medal Of Honor and games that don't even need a graphics card

My problem is my pc doesn't seem to recognize the card even though in Device Manager it's read
PC's age might have that effect

The more info you provide, the better we can help.

Those games needed a graphics card when I played them. I think I used an AGP 8x ATI Radeon 9700 Pro when the medal of honor games came out.

Could be because your system uses PCIe 1.0 spec. This is half the bandwidth of PCI 2 on whose specification the 5450 was built. Theoretically, PCIe devices are backward compatible, but can only operate with the available bandwidth.

Are you plugging the monitor into your new card or leaving it plugged into the motherboard?

ryder57

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Youssef59
I also play Crossfire online and my suggestion would be to get more ram ,your cpu is just O.K. the 5450 im not sure about ,but sounds like you're getting playable fram rates. Just add more ram.

RAM really isn't the differentiator when it comes to performance. You can't really compare the Radeon 5450 with 2GB to a GTX 670 with 2GB because the number of processors and the method of processing is entirely what sets one apart from the other.

I would say the 5450 is a graphics card you might choose if you didn't have an integrated solution.

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I meant the graphics card not the ram the older graphics card was 128 while this is 2GB

Oh another problem just landed
I removed Radeon and it was really hot I did this because it kept giving my screen coloured lines everywhere and I think that might be a real issue

ryder57

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

Sounds like your having problems and the 5450 might be the problem.
Iv'e played CF on a acer aspire 150 netbook, single cpu ,2 threads ,onboard graphics gma945? , 1gig of ram, it played actually very well ,my fps were about 30-45 fps and was suprisingly playable . Any lags I had were due to not enough ram. Oh and I had to have an ethernet cord (100mb/s) plugged into the netbook .

Youssef59

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Your point as I managed to understand is that FPS doesn't have to do with the Game Quality and Performance??? :D Hope that's the thing lol xDD

Status
Not open for further replies.