Crossfire // SLi Motherboards / new built system QA

Boms

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
So I'm in the process of building a new system, I was initially set on i7-2600 and EVGA P67 FTW motherboard with a single 570gtx video card. After all was said and done the price was simply too high for the use its going to get. Now after pouring through reviews I'm thinking I like the idea of a 6950, with the option to crossfire, and hoping to stay with an i5 SB processor.

Basically my question is, does anyone know of any decently priced gaming motherboards from a reliable producer that can support crossfire on an intel proc? or would I simply still be better off running an i5 with the evga board and a 570 or even possibly just grabbing a single or SLi configuration of 560 Ti's?.

the use this system is going to see is mainly BF3, diablo 3, and I'd like to play on fairly high settings doesnt HAVE to be ultra at a massive resolution.

G

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117

lp231

Splendid
Almost any board with at least 2x PCIe x16 slots will support ATi CrossFire. For SLI it's required for the board to support x8/x8.
Multiple GPU setup benefits from high resolutions, low resolutions won't take advantage of it and in the end
you're just wasting your money.

The EVGA board you picked is over priced.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

Boms

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Thank you for the reply Lp231, I was up ALL night doing more research when I discovered that most of the p67 motherboards do actually support Xfire they just dont advertise. The set up I did eventually go with was the Gigabyte UD5 (I simply cant do Asus, their customer support is absent at the best of times.) which seemed to have great reviews! It's also an interesting note that I found for RAM speed anything over the 1600 c/s really doesnt seem to be worth it at this point from a performance/cost ratio.