Crossfire Two Different HD 7970's

Solution
You can use two different cards, but it's best to run them at the same speeds. If not you may notice micro stutter more in some games and other odd behavior. I saw this a lot when I had two 3850s since one of them was clocked at 3870 speed on the core (crazy vision tech) but the slower ASUS card could not match that for a long period of time. I even see this to a lesser degree on my 5870s very rarely (one is an OC version with a 20mhz higher clock) which goes away when I clock them the same.

Ryxxaki

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Yes, as long as the GPU is the same (in this case, a 7970), then you can crossfire it. The temps should be fine, but I suspect that the new one will run a bit hotter than your current one because of its fan design.

b737lvr

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

What if I was running them at different speeds, like my Ghz edition was running 1175/1600 and the other one was stock speeds (since overclocking might not be doable with temps)

You can use two different cards, but it's best to run them at the same speeds. If not you may notice micro stutter more in some games and other odd behavior. I saw this a lot when I had two 3850s since one of them was clocked at 3870 speed on the core (crazy vision tech) but the slower ASUS card could not match that for a long period of time. I even see this to a lesser degree on my 5870s very rarely (one is an OC version with a 20mhz higher clock) which goes away when I clock them the same.

Solution