Crossfire with R9 270X

KaharonCZE

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Hi, I bought Sapphire Radeon R9 270x 4gb and after i bought it i found that it cant use all 4gb of vram bcouse of 256bit memory bandwidth only.I am planning to use Crossfire in the future and i got a question about that. Can the card use whole 4Gb when i will use Crossfire or is it going to be still limited?

Solution
It could use all 4 gb, but I doubt it will ever get close to using all becuase small memory bandwidth. If you sli, it should push the vram a little further but I would say never past 3 gb without bogging down preformance. Middle range cards with 4 gb of ram make me scratch my head a little since the 780ti is the best performing card at 3 gb vram. The only cards worth getting with 4 gb of vram or more are 290/290x and Titan becuase those those cards actually enough power to potentially push past 3 gb ram at playable rates.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The memory bandwidth has no bearing on how much of the VRAM is accessible. The card can use all of it. But unless you game at higher than 1080p resolution, there are few (no?) games today that will access more than 2GB at that resolution.

It could use all 4 gb, but I doubt it will ever get close to using all becuase small memory bandwidth. If you sli, it should push the vram a little further but I would say never past 3 gb without bogging down preformance. Middle range cards with 4 gb of ram make me scratch my head a little since the 780ti is the best performing card at 3 gb vram. The only cards worth getting with 4 gb of vram or more are 290/290x and Titan becuase those those cards actually enough power to potentially push past 3 gb ram at playable rates.

Solution