Question Crossfire

Aug 8, 2019
Hey guys,
I came across some cheap parts so decided I'd try to cross fire my rx 480. I found an exact duplicate, but when I install it, the system slows to an absolute crawl. I did a fresh install and still super slow. I made sure the cards had dedicated lines from the psu.. but still sluggish.
I'm hoping someone can give me some information about my problem.

System:
Asus M5A99fx pro r2.0
Fx-9590
Asus dual rx 480 oc 8gb
32 gb ballistix sport
Windows 10 on ssd
Evga 1000w gq

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019
What slots do you have the cards installed in?

From the Motherboard Manual: Pg 1-23

-Wolf sends

The cards are in these suggested slots. But I did have them I. Slots 1 and 4 originally, then saw the same thing in the manual. When I swapped them I didn't do a clean install, and was very slow. I'm gunna try a clean install tonight. But I wouldn't think it would be that big of an issue to swap them like that.

Aug 8, 2019
Have you tested both cards individually to see if performance is the same?

I haven't tried the new card by itself. I did notice in gpu-z that the new card doesnt have the same driver set though. When I tried to install the drivers, it didn't seem to update the card. Do you think I should put that one on solo/primary and try to update it's drivers?

Aug 8, 2019
Your display(s) is/are connected to the primary card, yes?
Where did you get the "new" card from? You said it was an exact duplicate. Do they look the same / Have the same cooling shroud/solution?

-Wolf sends

Display is connected to the primary card in alot one.
The "new" card was used on eBay, doesn't seem beat up at all.
The shroud and cooling are exactly the same. From all appearances and on paper they are the exact same card.

Aug 8, 2019
It could have a "mining BIOS" installed. Are the specs the same for both when looking at GPUz?

It looks the same except for the driver it's running as I mentioned previously, for some reason adrenaline didn't update it while in the secondary spot.
The bios is the same as my original card.
Not sure if that would change for a "mining bios" though.
Is there a way I can reset it to factory defaults?