CROSSHAIR VI HERO -32gb ram upgrading to 64gb later

octanenoob

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
Hey guys, I am building a ryzen work machine for 3d applications and a mix of cpu/gpu rendering.

as the title states I am planning on starting off with 32gb of ram and upgrading to 64gb down the road. I have read about the issues with ram on ryzen builds.

I have checked the QVL for the crosshair and it lists the different configurations that work. Is it safe to assume if this 2x16 32gb ram configuration is listed that I can just purchase another set later to upgrade to 64gb and it will work?

Or as things currently stand if I want 64gb I would have to purchase one of the 64gb configurations?

Solution
No it's not safe to assume that octanenoob. :(

Adding another kit even of the same spec can cause issues.
It's a risk you take. There are variations in Latency and timings during manufacture and that's why kits are binned to ensure conformatty. Best is to get a single kit the size you need and frequency that is supported and have been tested and listed on the QVL.
No it's not safe to assume that octanenoob. :(

Adding another kit even of the same spec can cause issues.
It's a risk you take. There are variations in Latency and timings during manufacture and that's why kits are binned to ensure conformatty. Best is to get a single kit the size you need and frequency that is supported and have been tested and listed on the QVL.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS