Crowdfunding Campaign For 'Wasteland 3' Starts Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to pass. Paying for products I can't guarantee will ever exist seems silly, and after watching the linked video, even if I was in the habit of rewarding for work that hasn't been done yet, I would not invest with this company.

CarbonK

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I am a fan of the older Fallout 1 and 2 games and Wasteland 2. I'll keep my wallet closed for now as it's a bit too early, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Guys, you do realize that the Fig platform allows you to CHOOSE to do one or both of:

Traditional pledging for the game + swag, JUST like on Kickstarter;
and/or
UN-traditional "investing" in the games success by purchasing 'game shares' which will potentially pay you back with every sale of the game once it goes live..

If you don't like the investment option, then simply don't invest! -You can still back the game just like you would on Kickstarter.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@nitrium care to elaborate on how/why Fig is a Ponzi scheme? I had never heard of Fig before, but nothing that I read about their business model from their wikipedia page even remotely remotely suggests a Ponzi scheme.

Did you not watch the YouTube video in my post???

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
If the fact that investing goes primarily to the entities involved with created said product, literally every publicly traded stock on earth is a Ponzi scheme. The issue has nothing to do with having viewed the video, it has to do with the fact that video is nonsense.

Huh? If I buy a publically traded stock and it doubles in price, I can double my money when I sell it. If I buy FIG "stock" in a product and it doubles in price I get basically no gain whatsoever because it all gets funnelled back to the creators. Does that sound the same to you?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

I watched most of it now. There is a single image with the words 'sounds like a Ponzi Scheme' (or something to that effect), with essentially no discussion about it, but otherwise the entire video focuses on why investing in Fig is a bad idea. It doesn't really talk about Fig being a Ponzi scheme, it doesn't even really talk about how pledging to a Fig campaign (à la Kickstarter) is a bad idea, it specifically talks about how the option to invest is a terrible idea. And in that respect, I agree that the video seems to make a good point.

That sounds like a bad investment, but does not describe a Ponzi scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS