CRT or Flat Panel for games?

CRT all the way.... I have lcd(Samsung 950b i must say i do like it. but went thru 2 others first...NEVER AGAIN SONY!!!).....but its cause i could not find a good crt(they all suck now)....but when i do.....well the lcd(Samsung 950b) will be my 2nd screen/tv :)

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I went to the comp store the other day and the salesman was playing COD2 on a nice viewsonic 19" lcd .... I tried for myself and I would not trade my huge (but awesome!!!) 21" crt ... not yet anyways .... and that's my opinion :D

sailer

Splendid
I've got two computers. One uses a Sony 21" CRT, the other uses a new Viewsonic 19" LCD that is supposedly for gamers. No question about it, the CRT is better. But its sure a big, heavy monster.

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
CRT if you play games only little time 1-2 hours day.
TFT if you work playing games.

Latest LCD have good color and resp time. You can't see the difference bettwen a good LCD and a good CRT.

CRT are big, heavy, power hungry and damage eyes.
TFT have fixed resolution.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you're planning on moving the monitor at all, don't get a CRT because the good ones can weigh more than 100 pounds. If you're just going to leave the monitor on a desk, a CRT is okay. If you're going to be staring at the monitor all day, don't get a CRT.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Another vote for best performance on a CRT. Better "Update time" (vsync rate versus reaction time), better color reproduction (only when properly calibrated), better contrast, etc. I have 2 21" Trinitrons (a Dell and a SGI badged new-old-stock) and they are heavy as sin but great.

That being said, others have said that LCD's are better power-wise, for your eyes, and are approaching CRT's in terms of the areas listed above, so for many it makes sense to get an LCD.

Some promising technologies are just over the horizon that will have the benefits of both technologies like OLED and SED. Looks like the next few years might be very interesting in monitor technology...

linux_0

Splendid
Yes indeed :-D

LCDs

PROs:

size
weight
power consumption
no dangerous radiation
less heat
geometrically perfect

CONs:

resolution
latency ( improving all the time - we're down to 8ms )
color reproduction
dead pixels
contrast
brightness

CRTs

PROs:

color reproduction
latency
brightness
contrast
resolution

CONs:

size
weight
dangerous radiation
eye fatigue
power consumption
heat dissipation
geometric imperfections

Syzler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you're spending more than $400, I'd go LCD.

I agree, LCD's can be alot easier to look at for extended periods of time, but to get one with enough juice for gaming, you have to shell out big bucks.

And another bonus for CRT's is screen size. I still don't think the larger LCD's have as good a response curve as the 19" yet.

If you do go shopping for LCD's though...don't let them scam you with the response time numbers. Most of them report only grey-to-grey numbers that don't reflect real world useage.

Also be aware that there are basically two types of LCD monitors; 8-bit and 6-bit.

8-Bit LCDs offers true 16.7 million colors. Each primary color (red, green, blue) is represented by 8-bits which will provide 256 shades of that color (256 = 2^8). Since each color has 256 shades, 16.7 million colors can be produced (256^3). Colors are vibrant, tests are clear, and overall really good image quality for an LCD. The downside is that this are slower and the best grey-to-grey response time you will see is probably 12ms.

6-Bit LCDs do not offer true 16.7 million colors. Each primary color (red, green, blue) is represented by 6-bits which will provide 64 shades of that color (64 = 2^6). Since each color is only represented by 64 shades, these monitors can really on process 262,144 colors (64^3). Colors are upscaled to 16.2 or 16.7 million by interpolation. That means guess the missing colors. This means there could be errors in color reproductionm and artifacts may appear as well. Colors are flatter and images are not as clearly defined as in 8-bit LCDs. But these do provide a low response time. Some manufactures claims are as low as 2ms.

Don't always trust the response times listed, because there is no standard to test or judge them by.

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Yes indeed :-D

LCDs

PROs:

size
weight
power consumption
no dangerous radiation
less heat
geometrically perfect

CONs:

resolution
latency ( improving all the time - we're down to 8ms )
color reproduction
dead pixels
contrast
brightness

CRTs

PROs:

color reproduction
latency
brightness
contrast
resolution

CONs:

size
weight
dangerous radiation
eye fatigue
power consumption
heat dissipation
geometric imperfections

dangerous radiation?
really?

faded

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Depends really, the advantages of CRT is that you can play games at any resolution and not suffer from that horrible pixelation you get with LCD's.
But when used at the native resolution LCDs are a much richer, crisper image in my opinion.
If you do decide to go LCD make sure you get one with a good response time (8ms or less) and as others have said make sure its not quoted as grey to grey.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I also would agree that crt is the best for gaming.
I am not to sure about the high resolution sli configeration.
lcd may be prefered to some .
I have both and admit the crt gets the most attention

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
CRTs gotta go.. no reason not to get a LCD by now if your getting a monitor. as long as you get 8ms and a good brand you shouldnt notice ghosting. and i play C&C scaled back at 1024x768 on my native 12x10 LCD and it looks fine

Tyrvidar

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
CRTed up until Feb. of this year. Snagged this up Rosewill R912E, while not top of the line, it is a great product, the temp. in my room has dropped atleast 3 or 4 degrees from not having a CRT sitting in front of me, easy on the eyes. I like the fixed resolutions some complain about. As far as gamming quality... this was a big improvement for me. Go for LCD. I <3 CRT too though. Get one of each if you can.

linux_0

Splendid
CRTs gotta go.. no reason not to get a LCD by now if your getting a monitor. as long as you get 8ms and a good brand you shouldnt notice ghosting. and i play C&C scaled back at 1024x768 on my native 12x10 LCD and it looks fine

I agree :-D

LCDs are better overall so I would recommend an 8bpp LCD.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
A GOOD LCD.. not one of those crappy 200 dollar ones.

I wouldnt trade my philips 190s 19" for any CRT. Just make sure you run it in native resolution (1280x1024) so you don't get fuzzy letters and graphics.

TRENDING THREADS