CRT Viability with 1080 GTX + Adapter

entrope76

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hello all.

I have been researching for some hours now and still cannot seem to come to a reliable source of information on this, so I can to you experts.

I was kicking around the idea of buying a used CRT monitor for two purposes: nostalgia for old gaming and higher refresh rates, deeper blacks, less input lag.

I have a modern computer with a 1080 GTX.

No VGA video inputs in the back for an older CRT monitor.

I have found some adapters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RWFT8NG for example, but it SEEMS that they LIMIT refresh rates/hertz to 60 once they convert the CRT ?

My GOAL is to play things like counterstrike, UT, Overwatch, with an Old school CRT for both a nostalgic view and a highly reduced input lag while maintaining something like 100-150 Hertz refresh rate/ 100-150 frames per second.

I felt this would be a better option than buying a 144 MHz LCD monitor, but I am concerned about the adapter limiting the refresh rate to 60 FPS.

is my GOAL possible? Or should I just be using a modern LCD for 144 fps gaming?

(side note, I use a 4k LCD display now on my PC @ 60 fps synced).

Thanks so much for your input!

entrope76

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Ok-- I read that a VGA to DVI converter wont work because it will convert the analog signal into a digital signal and launch the image on the screen at 60 Hz.

I'm going to use an old Laptop with a 280 gtx in it. It has a VGA, and all cards up to about a Geforce 7-- series seem to have VGA for old CRT analog monitors.

First off, you should be looking for a DVI to VGA not the other way around. There are more than one type of DVI. DVI-D is digital output only and will not work for your application. DVI-A has analog only. DVI-I has both analog and digital outputs. So, DVI-A or DVI-I outputs on your graphics card will work for your DVI to VGA adapter.

Here is a web page that that shows the pin-outs, and explains it in more detail.
http://www.datapro.net/news/faq-how-do-i-go-from-dvi-to-vga.html

For the most part, CRT monitors and TVs are going to be limited to 60 Hz. My last TV was a Samsung 1080P Plasma. I mention this because it was also a 600 Hz display. Another option.