Crucial 4gb ddr3 - 1600 udimm resulting in black screen

Cillius

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Yesterday I bought a crucial ram card (as listed in title) and installed it in my pc, but when i turn my pc on everything goes on except for my screen and keyboard (my mouse does react since it is an usb connected mouse)

I have a G41m-s01 msi motherboard so it should be compatible with it. I've tried changing settings in my bios but it seems they don't safe (more like i can't dorce it to change) and some things are grey so i can't edit them.

My motherboard isn't listed on the msi site so i can't really find support like downloads etc for it.
I also tried updating my bios but i am not quite sure how to do that.

Hope u guys can help me.

Ps:(with my old ram card my pc works just fine)

Cillius

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
So the problem isn't the 12800 part but that i want to put a 4gb stick in 1 port, so 2 12800 sticks with 2gb should work?

And yes it was a single 4gb stick

The 2X 2GB kit will work, and sometime I saw people use the single 4GB in other old MB, you may try update the BIOS by using the old RAM, after the BIOS update try one more time with the 4GB RAM, but only you feel comfortable you can do it, otherwise may ask for help because it you can't do it right, you will kill the MB, that means the PC will not boot.
How to update the BIOS with MSI M-flash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ws0deuHL4

Cillius

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
I am going to try and update the bios now, only thing i am not sure of is that i downloaded the new bios file and when i opened it, it was a map with 4 files, which one should i rename and to wat to put on my usb? Also do i have to make it a bootable usb?

Edit: i've changed my usb to fat32 and made it bootable with rufus and used freeDOS, also i downloaded new bios from the br msi website(only msi site with my mobo) and unzipped AFUD4310 to the usb, but the site says i need to transfer the bios file 2, but i don't see a document that is a bios file??