Crucial Announces its v4 SSD for Budget Conscious Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Great idea, but they need to make the prices go much lower than that. They are targetting a group of people who are unwilling to pay that much. I say 3/4 it and it will fly off the shelves like hotcakes.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
A little too late.
There already are SATA III at lower prices than this on similar sizes.
Plus they will work on SATA II.

If the price range for this were substantially lower (to bear the "budget" gimmick)
then it would have a real chance. But like this, this aren't "budget conscious" at all.

They really need to work on the pricing if they want it to be considered --- for example looking on Newegg they have this 128GB V4 which is SATA II for $99 for the Bare drive and then right along side it they have the M4 which is much faster SATA III (so faster if you have the SATA III available but just as fast if not faster using the SATA II interface at $99 with a USB to SATA cable for making transfering the data from your old HDD to this SSD easy (which would cost you at least $10+) !!

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I can't believe you people.... $50 for an SSD boot drive and you're complaining about the price! Also, "This makes it one of the most affordable SSDs on the market" means it's one of the most affordable SSDs on the market.

mjflis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah not budget friendly. Have them say $10-15 less (or more) than the sata 3 counterparts and you have a deal.

lokii_0

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Everyone bitching about the price of these drives is forgetting one important thing: the list price of all of the SSDs which are now being sold cheaply is far higher than their sale price. Most of the time, the MSRP of an item is higher than the price at which it is actually sold. If these items have a MSRP which is the sale price of other items, once these SSDs are available for sale, they will likely cost even less than their suggested price, thus making them quite budget friendly.

[citation][nom]lokii_0[/nom]Everyone bitching about the price of these drives is forgetting one important thing: the list price of all of the SSDs which are now being sold cheaply is far higher than their sale price. Most of the time, the MSRP of an item is higher than the price at which it is actually sold. If these items have a MSRP which is the sale price of other items, once these SSDs are available for sale, they will likely cost even less than their suggested price, thus making them quite budget friendly.[/citation]

That is Why I went and looked at Newegg --- and this drive is the same exact price for the bare drive as the Same companies M4 version ( REGULAR PRICE no sale involved !!) which is a faster (SATA III drive) and comes with a transfer kit -- so why would anyone go with this and pay more for less just because thy say it is a budget friendly drive ??

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JDFan[/nom]That is Why I went and looked at Newegg --- and this drive is the same exact price for the bare drive as the Same companies M4 version ( REGULAR PRICE no sale involved !!) which is a faster (SATA III drive) and comes with a transfer kit -- so why would anyone go with this and pay more for less just because thy say it is a budget friendly drive ??[/citation]
Wait a month or two and check prices again.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mjflis[/nom]Yeah not budget friendly. Have them say $10-15 less (or more) than the sata 3 counterparts and you have a deal.[/citation]

i saw a sale, 256gb sata III great drive, about 150-160$ i forget how much.
the suggested here for each drive is WAY to much... and they will be cheaper, but only after a while and a next generation of them comes out... drives arent cheaper than msrp from day one unless its by a very small sum, or a new company looking to attract new customers (got borderlands 2 for 20$ off retail price, for that reason)

[citation][nom]mcvf[/nom]Wait a month or two and check prices again.[/citation]

Exactly but until they do come down in price this is just a useless product which is what others have been complaining about --- why introduce a new "budget Friendly" product that is lower performance and limited to a slower connection when the newer faster drive with a faster connection is completely backward compatible and already cheaper than the suggested price on the new product without the limitations ? It only makes sense if there is a significant savings involved to justify the purchase of the older interface -- if it costs the same or more then it makes no sense is all anyone is saying !

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JDFan[/nom]Exactly but until they do come down in price this is just a useless product which is what others have been complaining about --- why introduce a new "budget Friendly" product that is lower performance and limited to a slower connection when the newer faster drive with a faster connection is completely backward compatible and already cheaper than the suggested price on the new product without the limitations ? It only makes sense if there is a significant savings involved to justify the purchase of the older interface -- if it costs the same or more then it makes no sense is all anyone is saying ![/citation]
I think you compare the best Newegg prices with retail prices of a brand new product. The retail prices of those SSD which now match this one were way much more before. So as it is, in 2-3 month this is gonna rule market. It has always been like that. Remember Intel "budget" drives?

Yea I guess when they came up with this idea and the M4's were selling at $149 for the 128GB these at $99 would have made sense but now that the M4 has dropped to street pricing of $99 these would have to be around $65 to make sense -- IF the street pricing does manage to drop to around there for a 128GB. they should find a decent market and sell well (unless the M4's and other competitors SATA III devices drop in price as well during that time) -- but at the current pricing they will struggle to gain market share.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The IOPs are what matters and this budget SSD isn't very good (according to specs) in that department. Get a Vertex 3/4 or something like it and you should have a lot more IOPs per second in a SATA 2 interface than this drive.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I'm still waiting on SSD, once the 200-500gb capacity becomes "the norm" on SSD then I will make a move on it...

Otherwise, these gimmicks are just part of the "growing up" or maturing process of the technology...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS