Question Crucial Ballistix 3600mHz running at 2666mHz, asus tuf x570 gaming plus wifi

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Okay.. so... I just upgraded from Crucial Ballistix 3000mHz to 3600mHz. however its caused a whirlwind of problems in my pc.

Asus TUF x570 gaming plus wifi
ryzen 5600x
2x8gb crucial ballistix
280 pro nvme
xfx gts rx580 black edition 8gb oc+
few storage drives
Ive read elsewhere that this motherboard is limited to about 3400mHz memory, however with a recent bios update it was mentioned that 3600mhz was now supported.

1. took out my 3000mhz installed the 3600 into slots a2, b2 (these slots are the only ones with just 2 sticks of memory where xmp/docp can work when using only 2 sticks of memory.
  2. booted into bios no problems, however noticed that the memory was registered as 2666mhz. this is where i attempted to set the ram perameters manually as to not affect my overclock on my cpu (@ 4.7ghz).
  3. saved settings and reboot.. 1 long 2 short beeps, it power cycled 3 times like this, and then came back up, single beep, and Q-led on vga stays lit... black screen..
  4. pulled the cmos battery and flipped the dip switch on my psu for 5 mins to dissipate any residual power..
  5. booted back into bios. attempted to run the docp settings, where it wiped my overclock on cpu . reboot.. no video again..
  6. used a backup vid card i had got into bios. reset the bios for the TPM-safe computing. to descrete.
  7. installed my 580 again. got into bios, and just booted into windows, where i sit here typing this now..
~ive tried playing with the fclk at 1600,1700,1800. (3200,3400,3600mhz)
~tried manually setting the parameters of the memory 16-18-18-38 and 1.35v

host an image

this memory doesnt seem to want to sync.. any ideas?

as this is an AMD build... "XMP" is not an option in the bios. however the profile for it displays in bios when looking at the memory specifications.

ive had to reset my bios 5 times in total.. to even get to this point.. im somewhat stumped.. never had any of these problems with the 3000mHz chips..

Last edited:
Solution
So.... i completely overlooked one simple step in every attempt, saving the bios profiles to a usb (for flashback utility 3 setup).. ram still registers primarily in bios as 2666mhz, but i got it to read as 3600 in windows..

DOCP enabled, fclk set to 3600, oc tuner enabled, cpu and dram offset set to +, dram voltage changed to 1.35v . i had to give up my overclock to 4.7gHz though for this ram to work.. but it seems to be fine so far in the 10 minutes ive had the system running..

it seems the "infinity fabric break point" on this ryzen 5600x cpu is set at 4.2ghz.
Okay.. so... I just upgraded from Crucial Ballistix 3000mHz to 3600mHz. however its caused a whirlwind of problems in my pc.

Asus TUF x570 gaming plus wifi
ryzen 5600x
2x8gb crucial ballistix
280 pro nvme
xfx gts rx580 black edition 8gb oc+
few storage drives
Ive read elsewhere that this motherboard is limited to about 3400mHz memory, however with a recent bios update it was mentioned that 3600mhz was now supported.

1. took out my 3000mhz installed the 3600 into slots a2, b2 (these slots are the only ones with just 2 sticks of memory where xmp/docp can work when using only 2 sticks of memory.
  2. booted into bios no problems, however noticed that the memory was registered as 2666mhz. this is where i attempted to set the ram perameters manually as to not affect my overclock on my cpu (@ 4.7ghz).
  3. saved settings and reboot.. 1 long 2 short beeps, it power cycled 3 times like this, and then came back up, single beep, and Q-led on vga stays lit... black screen..
  4. pulled the cmos battery and flipped the dip switch on my psu for 5 mins to dissipate any residual power..
  5. booted back into bios. attempted to run the docp settings, where it wiped my overclock on cpu . reboot.. no video again..
  6. used a backup vid card i had got into bios. reset the bios for the TPM-safe computing. to descrete.
  7. installed my 580 again. got into bios, and just booted into windows, where i sit here typing this now..
~ive tried playing with the fclk at 1600,1700,1800. (3200,3400,3600mhz)
~tried manually setting the parameters of the memory 16-18-18-38 and 1.35v

host an image

this memory doesnt seem to want to sync.. any ideas?

as this is an AMD build... "XMP" is not an option in the bios. however the profile for it displays in bios when looking at the memory specifications.

ive had to reset my bios 5 times in total.. to even get to this point.. im somewhat stumped.. never had any of these problems with the 3000mHz chips..
Could you try to enable the fastest xmp, then downclock it to 3200mhz, and then give a Zentimings read here :D

or could you update your bios to the latest? after that, enable XMP Profile (the fastest profile), then Change these settings:

SOC Voltage: 1.15v (you could try lower this later)
CPU VDDG CCD and IOD: 0.955v or 1050v
CLDO VDDP: 0.910v
Dram Voltage: 1.36~1.41v

then go to advanced timings, and change these (try to use the bigger number first):
Command Rate: 2T
tCL: 18
tRCD: 22
tRP: 22
tRAS: 42
tRP: 64
tWR: 22 ~ 16
tRFC: 630
tRRD_L: 8 or 6 or 4
tRRD_S: 4
tWTR_L: 14 or 12
tWTR_S: 4 or 5
tFAW: 32 or 24 or 16
tCWL: 18

ProcODT: 40 or 43.6
ClkDrvStr: 24
AddrCmdDrvStr: 24
CsOdtCmdDrvStr: 24
CkeDrvStr: 24

then save and exit, see if it boots.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Could you try to enable the fastest xmp, then downclock it to 3200mhz, and then give a Zentimings read here :D

or could you update your bios to the latest? after that, enable XMP Profile (the fastest profile), then Change these settings:

SOC Voltage: 1.15v (you could try lower this later)
CPU VDDG CCD and IOD: 0.955v or 1050v
CLDO VDDP: 0.910v
Dram Voltage: 1.36~1.41v

then go to advanced timings, and change these (try to use the bigger number first):
Command Rate: 2T
tCL: 18
tRCD: 22
tRP: 22
tRAS: 42
tRP: 64
tWR: 22 ~ 16
tRFC: 630
tRRD_L: 8 or 6 or 4
tRRD_S: 4
tWTR_L: 14 or 12
tWTR_S: 4 or 5
tFAW: 32 or 24 or 16
tCWL: 18

ProcODT: 40 or 43.6
ClkDrvStr: 24
AddrCmdDrvStr: 24
CsOdtCmdDrvStr: 24
CkeDrvStr: 24

then save and exit, see if it boots.
ill try this out shortly. i may have come across a fwe other options on a different site i will try as well..

Remove your CPU overclock and then apply XMP/D.O.C.P.

Is the RAM on QVL? It's very odd that it doesn't give you DOCP options.

hmmm i just checked and it doesnt appear to be on the QVL list.. wierd.. my 3000mhz is though..

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
None of the above steps worked. I couldn’t even run a modified profile set to 3000,3200,3400…

my bios is up to date however the ram I have in fact is not on the qvl list. I think that has a big part in this problem.

Reactions: Koekieezz
None of the above steps worked. I couldn’t even run a modified profile set to 3000,3200,3400…

my bios is up to date however the ram I have in fact is not on the qvl list. I think that has a big part in this problem.
so you're using only 2x8gb on slot a2 and b2 right? (slot 2 and 4), could you try to enable XMP and downclock it to whichever lets you boot and send a zentimings read here?

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
so you're using only 2x8gb on slot a2 and b2 right? (slot 2 and 4), could you try to enable XMP and downclock it to whichever lets you boot and send a zentimings read here?
correct a2, b2. after about 4 hours of fighting to try and get it to work i gave up.. threw my 3000mHz back in. until i can decide when id want to dedicate more time to fiddling with it.

as to your Q, i couldnt get it to boot at any downgraded timings short of the 2666 timings to even get a screenshot of anything (aside from the 2666 image shown in my original post... seems that is the highest base clock on the ram before the programmed xmp/docp profile. i just find it wierd that the docp wont run at the registered values of the 3600mHz. I am going to contact crucial directly and see if there is a solution for this, as ive exhausted everything i can think of to try and troubleshoot this.. including upgrading my system bios to the beta (4203); in hopes that the qvl was updated to work..

correct a2, b2. after about 4 hours of fighting to try and get it to work i gave up.. threw my 3000mHz back in. until i can decide when id want to dedicate more time to fiddling with it.

as to your Q, i couldnt get it to boot at any downgraded timings short of the 2666 timings to even get a screenshot of anything (aside from the 2666 image shown in my original post... seems that is the highest base clock on the ram before the programmed xmp/docp profile. i just find it wierd that the docp wont run at the registered values of the 3600mHz. I am going to contact crucial directly and see if there is a solution for this, as ive exhausted everything i can think of to try and troubleshoot this.. including upgrading my system bios to the beta (4203); in hopes that the qvl was updated to work..
That's pretty much weird to me.. even if a ram not in the qvl it should've work fluently somtimes.. the only wat to verify your ram is a faulty one is to use the ram on another system, or you could cross check it, your mobo with another cpu, your cpu on another mobo, and use the ram on each mobo (since cpu is swapped one each other), If your mobo could do but not with your cpu, then probably its the cpu bin issue, but if you tried your cpu on another mobo and the ram DOCP works, gotta be motherboard issue..

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
That's pretty much weird to me.. even if a ram not in the qvl it should've work fluently somtimes.. the only wat to verify your ram is a faulty one is to use the ram on another system, or you could cross check it, your mobo with another cpu, your cpu on another mobo, and use the ram on each mobo (since cpu is swapped one each other), If your mobo could do but not with your cpu, then probably its the cpu bin issue, but if you tried your cpu on another mobo and the ram DOCP works, gotta be motherboard issue..

this is all wierd to me too.. i have 20+ years as an A+/N+/NISS tech and NEVER had this much prob with ram before.

i do have a rig I actually just started building up for my kids to game on; from all of my own old parts ive clearly since upgraded from. ill test this ram on this evening after work. who knows.. maybe ill get lucky on their rig and it gets a massive upgrade.. lol. i was going to throw my 3000mhz ram on it after upgrading my rig, but idk now...

ryzen3-2200g
msi b350 tomahawk
currently has 16gb-2400 corsair vengance lpx on it.
xfx r9-390 8gb

i'll update once i get a chance to test it on my other rig..

Reactions: Koekieezz
this is all wierd to me too.. i have 20+ years as an A+/N+/NISS tech and NEVER had this much prob with ram before.

i do have a rig I actually just started building up for my kids to game on; from all of my own old parts ive clearly since upgraded from. ill test this ram on this evening after work. who knows.. maybe ill get lucky on their rig and it gets a massive upgrade.. lol. i was going to throw my 3000mhz ram on it after upgrading my rig, but idk now...

ryzen3-2200g
msi b350 tomahawk
currently has 16gb-2400 corsair vengance lpx on it.
xfx r9-390 8gb

i'll update once i get a chance to test it on my other rig..
Probably the 2200G could do XMP and down tune it to 3466mhz max, with the latest bios/beta bios on your x570, then youru 5600x wont work on b350 tomahawk.. so yeah..

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
okay.. so ive been in contact with asus about my motherboard, the tech advised me that they will be bringing up the compatibility of this ram kit to their r&d/troubleshooting dept. the tech advised to keep an eye out for a new bios revision with an updated QVL list in the upcoming month (apparently a lot of new ram is having this issue).

this morning i found this article.. which i find very odd.. using a bios revision thats 2 steps older than the one i currently have, with the exact same motherboard and processor, they managed to get this memory to work, and run it at the 3600, AND up to almost 4000 mhz? https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/10/28/crucial-ballistix-ddr4-3600-cl16-16gb-ram-kit-review/

i am awaiting an email back from crucial. but i probably wont see it until this coming week.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
So.... i completely overlooked one simple step in every attempt, saving the bios profiles to a usb (for flashback utility 3 setup).. ram still registers primarily in bios as 2666mhz, but i got it to read as 3600 in windows..

DOCP enabled, fclk set to 3600, oc tuner enabled, cpu and dram offset set to +, dram voltage changed to 1.35v . i had to give up my overclock to 4.7gHz though for this ram to work.. but it seems to be fine so far in the 10 minutes ive had the system running..

it seems the "infinity fabric break point" on this ryzen 5600x cpu is set at 4.2ghz.

Solution