Crucial BX200 SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Micron announced its 16nm TLC flash five months ago, and Crucial's BX200 is the first product to take advantage of the extra bit per cell. Is this late-comer competitive, or is it overwhelmed in a sea of superior solid-state storage?

Crucial BX200 SSD Review : Read more

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
These drives better come in a decent amount under the suggested price. The 850 Evo is constantly hitting those price points (or less) and prices have only been dropping. The 850 Evo is slightly faster on the sequential side, but far better with random read/write IOPS. You also get a better warranty, too.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Atm I don't see any reason to buy anything other than the 850 EVO atm in that budget range, they are priced so well. Bought a 250GB this week for my brother, it was only 63 UKP total from Amazon. Bought two 500GB units for myself for 117 each. Other vendors will have to move a lot in order to compete even on price, never mind performance & warranty.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I love it when a manufacturer replaces a older model with a model that performs far worse. Time to snap up those excellent BX100's on clearance sales! How do companies screw up like this? Doesn't anyone do product testing and benchmarking before release anymore?

I for once I almost no interest in current generation SSDs as I do not like TLC nand and not impressed with the performance in general. Just something to avoid when buying SSDs especially when it comes to the cheaper low capacity models for my projects. Last thing that I need is having to re-write everything every few months or suffer spinner level or worse performance (problem with planar TLC nand).

For those who have been out of the loop or haven't bough their first SSD yet just avoid SSDs that use TLC unless it is 3D (stacked) and just pay a little more for MLC.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Kinda Ridiculous when you can get the MX100 512GB w/ MLC NAND for $149. unless they're planning on making the 480gig a sub-$100 drive by the holidays this is a non-starter.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Did you duplicate the latency histogram pie charts for the BX200 960GB and the BX100 500GB? They're exactly the same.

Thanks

It's not a duplicate. The latency distribution is just the same for both. I'm working on fine tuning those charts a bit.

Also, you will notice that the bars on the side are different sizes even though it's still 0%. Data has fallen into those buckets but not more than 1%.

I'm willing to bet this is just as reliable as most of Crucial's other offerings (which is very good), but performance like this is just sad. I wouldn't recommend this drive pretty much completely regardless of how cheap it gets.

Granted this is an exaggerated example, things like this are why I don't get TLC drives. The only TLC drives I would consider are Samsung's TLC drives because they seem to do a decent job of it, but TLC's weakness is still considerable there if you push it too hard. It's too easy for a company to gimp TLC more than is acceptable and the BX200 series demonstrates that to an extreme.

ron baker

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
These will prolly be sold in vast qtys to oems and bulk buyers to put in pre built systems, so that they can then trumpet all ovef the ads supfast ssd.. No savvy buyer will go fot these, pcworld advent systems etc. Maybe, ..Shame samsung arent rocking the price boat eg 500gb for 70gbp

Status
Not open for further replies.