Question Crucial BX500 not recognized

Rui_Cardona_1

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
So a while ago I installed windows 7 on a new SSD for a laptop (this was a repair for a laptop from 2011) and everything went smoothly, instaled all drivers the laptop's webpage and installed all applications I was asked to install.

3 days after the repair was done I was told that the same laptop wouldn't boot and would cycle to the boot selection, I took the laptop back and confirmed this was the case when the same SSD is on the SATA connection.

So i booted from a flash drive to Strelec's WinPE and instantly went to "MiniTool Partition Wizard Technician" to see if the disk even showed up there... It did not. So i turned everything off and decided to put the SSD on an external enclosure and repeated the same process (I was curious to see the LED behavior with the disk which was the light being constantly on and then turns off after a while) and it didn't show up.

I'm at a lost here guys I really don't know what else I can do but send it back to crucial.

Rui_Cardona_1

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
Have you tried a different storage drive with the same laptop?
If it is simply not detected anywhere you put it, the SSD is probably DOA.
^ I agree.
Try the SSD in a different PC and see if it gets recognized.
If it doesn't then you need to try to RMA it if is still under warranty.

As explained the SSD is not DOA because I was able to install windows and the respective drivers on it without any issues. I've also tried using an external enclosure to no avail.

I'll try real quick to use it on my main system and I'll update you both as soon as that's done

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As explained the SSD is not DOA because I was able to install windows and the respective drivers on it without any issues. I've also tried using an external enclosure to no avail.

I'll try real quick to use it on my main system and I'll update you both as soon as that's done
I've had plenty of drives that have worked perfectly fine the first times, then faulted immediately after.
If a drive is completely new, it won't actually have sectors used to identify if any of them are faulty, when you then install over them, the faults come to fruition.

Rui_Cardona_1

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
Just plug it into your PC and see if it shows up in the BIOS.
If it does then you will know the laptop is the issue.
If it doesn't then you will know that the SSD is dead.

Hey just tested it out, the SSD is at fault because even my system won't detect it.

I'm at a lost right now because I don't know if warranty will cover this

Rui_Cardona_1

Reputable
Jun 13, 2019
I've had plenty of drives that have worked perfectly fine the first times, then faulted immediately after.
If a drive is completely new, it won't actually have sectors used to identify if any of them are faulty, when you then install over them, the faults come to fruition.

Therefore the only solution is to send it back?