Discussion Crucial BX500 SSD Not Accessible and want to use

Nov 23, 2022
I took my Crucial SSD ( BX500 2.5) 1TB drive out of a laptop. It had the windows OS installed, but no data I cared about. I inserted it into my new desktop as a slave drive (along with several others). The new computer did not boot until I removed this drive, so I figured I would just need to reformat it outside the desktop. This did not work. Though I reformatted it using windows, it still showed files. I think I may of have then tried to wipe the drive completely by deleting the program files that remain, and I ended up a drive which is " not accessible". I tried to repair the drive on multiple devices and even a MAC, and all of them can't get through the process. When I attach it to my desktop as an external drive Windows Explore recognizes the drive right away, but then when you click on any part of the drive, Explorer flips out. Here is the message I am getting this time.

View: https://imgur.com/IH3MtMs

I have even tried to access the drive using Crucial disc health software and it can't read or repair it's own drive. This drive was pretty new when this happened, and it's been sitting on my desk collecting dust. I would love to make use of 1TB. Any idea how I can save this drive?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022
The PC works fine without the crucial drive.

The PC was a DIY build. It has an
MSI MEG X570 Unify Motherboard
and I installed numerous drives.

3 on-board drives - NVMe M.2
1 Samsung 1TB, and 2 Crucial 2 TB
Windows 10 OS is installed on the smallest NVMe M.2
Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Plus

I also have multiple SATA drives in the box
1 Samsung SSD M.2
2TB Samsung 2.5
and the 3rd that I had to pull was the Crucial 1TB BX500 2.5

The PC works fine without the drive
It was a while ago, but I do remember trying "everything" to isolate the drive as the problem.
Since basically any system I have used to try to read it hasn't work, I am fairly sure it is not the SATA drive or the motherboard. I tried a Mac, Windows XP, and maybe even Windows 98 ( a very old Lenovo laptop).

Nov 23, 2022
When connected via the external, does it appear in Disk Management?

If so, please show us a screencap of that.
Thank you. It does appear in disk management. It still look like an OS drive. but it can't be accessed - in the original photo the errors states: i/o error
but, how can I insert a photo here? I am not sure why I can't figure it out.
I put it on google drive, but that is not the link it wants.

Nov 23, 2022
Certain SATA ports become disabled if certain M.2 ports are used on certain motherboards.

Your manual should address that issue.

I have no knowledge of your motherboard.

I don't know which ports you have used for the BX 500. I'd guess there are 6 possible ports.
The crucial drive I am having trouble with can't be accessed by multiple computers, with different configurations and different OS'. The problem is with the drive itself.

Nov 23, 2022
What specific motherboard?
The PC works fine without the crucial drive.

The PC was a DIY build. It has an
MSI MEG X570 Unify Motherboard
and I installed numerous drives.

3 on-board drives - NVMe M.2
1 Samsung 1TB, and 2 Crucial 2 TB
Windows 10 OS is installed on the smallest NVMe M.2
Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Plus

I also have multiple SATA drives in the box
1 Samsung SSD M.2
2TB Samsung 2.5
and the 3rd that I had to pull was the Crucial 1TB BX500 2.5

The PC works fine without the drive
It was a while ago, but I do remember trying "everything" to isolate the drive as the problem.
Since basically any system I have used to try to read it hasn't work, I am fairly sure it is not the SATA drive or the motherboard. I tried a Mac, Windows XP, and maybe even Windows 98 ( a very old Lenovo laptop).

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
maybe try to clean in diskpart?

• while you can see your drive in your disk manager,
  • run command prompt or powershell
  • run diskpart
  • "list disk" and check the disk #
  • "select disk 7" (if your BX500 is #7 like in your disk manager screenshot - be careful... selecting a wrong drive here will delete all the data in the wrong drive)
  • "clean"

Reactions: faradaymaker
Nov 23, 2022
maybe try to clean in diskpart?

• while you can see your drive in your disk manager,
  • run command prompt or powershell
  • run diskpart
  • "list disk" and check the disk #
  • "select disk 7" (if your BX500 is #7 like in your disk manager screenshot - be careful... selecting a wrong drive here will delete all the data in the wrong drive)
  • "clean"
Thank you for this tip. I tried this, but when I select disk 7, I get no response. The cursor continues to blink and I can't enter anything new.

View: https://imgur.com/Bbl3hVE

Nov 23, 2022
I had this drive mounted on 2.5" to 3.5" SATA drive converter. Given the hints I learned here, and the "i/o" error message, I am investigating if the connector on the converter is bad. I removed the converter and am connecting to the drive directly with a USB to SATA cable. Will update later. Thank you all.

Nov 23, 2022
Thank you all for your help. I connected the drive to my PC using a different USB hub. I was finally then able to use diskpart (taught to me by Pextaxmx) to clean the disk! Amazing.

Question: I need to initialize the drive (after I cleaned it). Should I initialize it before I install it as internal SATA drive or can I do that now, when it is still connected as a USB?

Now, on to the next hard drive that I need to recover.

Last edited: