Zenthar

Distinguished
I would like to know what kind of performance increase I should be expecting by going from OEM memory to Crucial CAS2 memory.

I run a 1ghz TBird on A7V no ovrclocking of any kind, anyone has some tips on geting most out of my crucial memory with and without overclocking?

Please feel free to reference me to review, I only find reviews of mushkin memory and if I was ready to pay that much money for RAM, I would go for DDR.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crucial Cas2 will run the fastest memory timings up to about 147MHz. That said, it will improve your 3D-mark 2000 scores by about 5%-10% over Cas3 (that is a bigger difference than it sounds). So it should have a similar affect on other games that push your system to the edge, and any other memory-speed intensive programs.

Suicide is painless...........

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am able to run generic cas3 stick at 160 Mhz without any trouble on CUSL2-C mobo (with 166 windows will not boot), have no idea why do you need "spesial" brand for that matter, extra 5 FPS will not help me if I already have 120 of them... heh

Have crusial 256 as well though.

K7 + KT7A + MX300 + VooDoo3000 = :smile:
P3 + CUSL2-C + MX300 + Asus7700 = :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's simple silly-you get more consistancy with Crucial. You never know whether the generic stuff was rated below spec or at the ragged edge. You take a gamble. I have had good luck with Hyudai memory as far as generic stuff goes-I actually had a 6ns PC100 module!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
For generic, I've also had good experience with Hyundai chips on a third-party board. I had a PC100 CAS 3 DIMM and it went up to 144mhz no problem.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

My question is similar so I will add to this thread if you don't mind.
I cant find any specs for the 256 crucial stick CAS2. They don't say anything about OC'ing (big surprise there). I heard they were on par with Mushkin so I just ordered one for $94 which you can't beat. Was going to get Mushkin but at 125 for 128 were talking almost 2.5 times higher- seems steep for hardly any noticible gain. DDR is that price! You are saying from experience it should go to 147 but not 150?

Also, can DDR be OC'ed?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It will go to about 147 at Cas2. Test it, find out the top speed for Cas2 on your particular DIMM. If you want to run at a higher bus speed than what it can handle at Cas2, change your bios to Cas3 and it should top 160 fairly easily. Remember that Cas3 is a little slower than Cas2, but you'll get that performance back in bus speed if you are going really high.

G

I have heard about changing to CAS3 to go higher FSB. Which is more effective faster memory latency or higher FSB, making the whole system faster? I would think the higher FSB without a doubt. It would be like a 1387 to 1520Mhz with a 9.5 multiplier. Isn't latency only important for the initial burst transfer of data anyways?

Comparitively, how high will the Muskin OC to with a CAS of 3? 170?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Latency is the initial burst, but ther can be many initial burste in the operation of a single application, such as 3D-Mark. Higher bus speed is better to an extent-in my own testing with 3D-Mark 2000 a bus speed increase of 5% was necessary to make up the difference-so going from 147 to 148 and changing from Cas2 to Cas3, the first setting is better. But going from 147 to 154 and Cas2 to Cas3, the higher bus speed starts to gain the edge.