Crucial m4 And Intel SSD 320: The Other SSD Competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Could you expand on the Full Disk Encryption capabilities of the Intel 320?
If you can actually use hardware FDE on that drive (rather than just secure erase), that's a winner for me.

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Why does the Intel 510 250GB appear to have two scores in crystalmark? (469.4 and 259.7) on the top benchmark on page: "Benchmark Results: CrystalDiskMark Streaming Performance" the specs are identical for both.

poppasmurf

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Great lil tidbit, wonder what the difference will be between other SSD's with different interface connections other than physical appearance and the interface connection. More on the lines of pro's and con's between the SSD interface connections I'm referring to the OCZ PCI-e drives vs. SATA 6GB just a thought to stir up the hoop la of ssd's :p

I am beginning to wonder if we haven't reached the point where the human eye and brain are finding it harder to differentiate performance among ssd's. Some mainstream benchmarks seem to suggest that. Some of the benchmarks in this review seem to indicate the same. There are some very tight groupings.

henryvalz

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
At the speed points that SSDs are functioning, I'm beginning to think that durability and reliability might be the best basis for decision. I would also really like to see some boot times from Windows 7, or loading time for games.

kev_stev

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Does anyone know when the vertex 3 and M4 are going to actually be available? I have heard rumors that the vertex 3 will be released "any day now" since mid march...

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Would have been interesting to see those Vantage marks on a Vertex 3 that hadn't already been hammered into a throttled state by all the previous tests. While it obviously shows the stamina and expected performance of the V3 after extremely heavy usage, the test doesn't take into consideration what many will see on newly installed drives that are used moderately. From that standpoint, the testing protocol is flawed, IMO.

IOW, the testing protocol in reverse would have been more interesting to see typical Vantage scores from an unthrottled controller. I know for fact through personal beta-testing of the V3 that they would have been much higher.

Or even better yet would be too take into account the special Durawrite throttling which the Sandforce drives STILL have built into the firmware(though not nearly as aggressive as the V2). Would surely give a nice little boost to SF through secure erase cleansing. If done at the 50% point it would show the potential in certain portions of the test suite that most WOULD see when not hitting thier drives with benchmark after benchmark in some sort of "hammer em' till the dust settles" protocol.

Decent enough writeup though and all the review sites will eventually get it figured out, I guess.

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Our SQL server has done more than 5*10^25 I/O Write Bytes in its 3 years lifespan. I really doubt the reliability of SSDs in a corporate server, although the IOs would be nice since our server can be crippled to 500% disk usage with disk queue sizes up to 8 at times.

G

[citation][nom]praxgti[/nom]Our SQL server has done more than 5*10^25 I/O Write Bytes in its 3 years lifespan. I really doubt the reliability of SSDs in a corporate server, although the IOs would be nice since our server can be crippled to 500% disk usage with disk queue sizes up to 8 at times.[/citation]

How did you work that one out,

10^24 bytes is a 1 yobibyte = 2^80 bytes = 1208925819614629174706176 bytes = 1,024 zebibytes

1 zebibyte = 270 bytes = 1180591620717411303424 bytes = 1,024 exbibytes

1 exbibyte = 260 bytes = 1152921504606846976 bytes = 1,024 pebibytes

All of the data in the world on every hard drive is estimated at around 500 exbibytes.

even in bits you are in order of several magnitude off

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Hi groberts101,

The test are actually run backwards. We just have help in a different order in the review. :)

Cheers,
Andrew
TomsHardware

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

I think there is a legend in the lower right hand corner. One is using the 6Gb/s port and one is using the 3Gb/s port.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Which ones are you referencing?

ww2003

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
From what i have been hearing the new vortec 3 is going to be the best SSD on the market with faster speeds the any other one has right now.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I like the part in the conclusion that one not need the fastest SSDs out there especially for desktop uses.
In my opinion, Intel has a point with their new products and pricing, enable bigger capacities at lower capacities.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I meant prices. :p

[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]I like the part in the conclusion that one not need the fastest SSDs out there especially for desktop uses. In my opinion, Intel has a point with their new products and pricing, enable bigger capacities at lower capacities.[/citation]

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
A couple of observations:
1. I was showing these charts to a coworker and pointed out that the worst SSD had 10x better performance than a good current rotating hard drive - and the good ones were 50x or better than that. We can split hairs over which SSD but the question I ask is why are you still on a hard drive?

2. The stupid SQL server calc continues to show the ignorance people have about SSD's. 99% of that SQL server's use is READS. SSD's can read all day long - its the write cycles that count against them. The early Intel drives guaranteed 100G of writes per day for 5 years - Im not sure if the other mfg list these specs or if they are unchanged.

In business use the question you have to ask yourself is does the cost of an SSD drive either defer an upgrade or somehow return more money than you spent on it. If no, then dont buy SSD's. For personal use we have no return - its pure fun and enjoyment to see how fast these things are....

G

You show that the read performance of the m4 degrades significantly over time with usage. How did this degradation affect the benchmark performance of the drive? I'm mostly interested in the PCMark Vantage benchmarks where the m4 was pretty consistently the leader -- was that a fresh drive or a used drive?

G

"5*10^25 I/O Write Bytes in its 3 years lifespan" seems to be a bit far fetched...

5*10^25 =
50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Bytes

Number of seconds in 3 years: 3*365*24*60*60 = 94,608,000 sec

Divide bytes by seconds to get continuous average transfer rate:
528,496,533,062,743,108 Bytes/sec

Roughly 7 Billion people in the world (assuming everyone has internet which they dont, and everyone is always downloading, which they aren't)

Transfer per person:
75,499,504 Bytes/sec/person

Which is 72MB per person per second. Not possible!

This would mean 7 Billion people in the world are consuming data constantly with their 578 Mbs (mega-bit per second) Internet connection!!

I WANT A 578 Mbs internet connection!!!

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
You show that the read performance of the m4 degrades significantly over time with usage. How did this degradation affect the benchmark performance of the drive? I'm mostly interested in the PCMark Vantage benchmarks where the m4 was pretty consistently the leader -- was that a fresh drive or a used drive?
Fresh out of the box. You'll see the m4 hit 65k in the PCMark HDD suite. I'll have to double check the numbers, but off the top of my head I think it was like ~54k in a steady state. Don't quote me on that though.

Remember this is for the 256 GB drive. The m4 128 GB model is suppose to hit around 55k right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.