Question Crucial M4 SSD 64GB 2.5 not detected in BIOS. Detected by USB but hangs up.

May 30, 2019
Hello,

My old Crucial SSD failed about 6 years ago. It had family photos and excel business documents on it I would love to retrieve. My firmware is still Rev: 001

Power cycles did not work.

Not detected in BIOS for the last six years.

I ordered a SATA usb a few weeks ago as I remembered reading these sometimes work.

I can now see the folder such as Program files and Users. When I click on these folders I get no response and my PC hangs up.

I did get to see some Users names in the Users folder when I removed the usb connection.

I do realize it takes a while to read ssd via usb, but the lock up seems to be for a while. When I disconnect the USB the pc will run smooth again.

Strange but I feel a bit further forward after six years.

I can see in disk management, partition healthy. It will lock up here also sometimes.

Cant change disk drive letter but I do get the option to allocate.

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

I have trying reading disks connected via USB and could take a while before a folder you click opens up.
Windows will take some time scanning for pictures and videos thumbnails. If some of this files are corrupted, Windows will hang.
Disable file icons on thumbnails and connected the disk again and see if you could access it.