Crucial M500 120GB vs Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - buying one of these tomorrow!

kaorucat

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
I'm upgrading from my old HDD to an SSD tomorrow! Hurrah!

Problem is, I'm quite torn. I can buy the EVO, yes, I know it's better performance-wise, yes, and I know Samsung is probably the most reliable SSD-making brand out there.

What I'd like to know is if the EVO is still a better option than the M500 despite the EVO's more expensive price tag ($30 more expensive from where I'm getting it.) Price-performance, I guess?

Thanks, hope to get answers soon as I'm buying it tomorrow. :)

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014
Well, in that case it would go down to your usage requirements and satisfaction whether you prefer to spend your $30 for a better performance or keep it and just be satisfied with the average grade SSD.

kaorucat

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Honestly I almost picked this as best solution. :)

I haven't really experienced how fast an SSD is compared to an HDD (mine is an old Seagate, not even 7200rpm) so I really don't know what to expect. *jitters*

Personally though, what do you think, mate? If you were in my position?

kaorucat

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Ah, to help you with that, I play and work on my PC. Titanfall, Dota 2, Assassin's Creed IV, Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs in the near future.

As for work, it's just a Java-based interface and a browser, and VoIP, no heavy video/image editing/whatnot.

Basically I just want to be able to boot really fast, and open up some programs quickly, too. If the EVO gives me much more of those than the M500, then I'm sold.