Crucial M500 or Samsung 840 EVO?

wanderer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Crucial M500 240GB ($99.99 with tax, marked down from $179.99):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS082314&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS082314-_-EMC-082314-Index-_-SSD-_-20148694-L03B

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB ($129.58 with tax, marked down from $149.99):

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+840+evo

Right now they're both on sale. How comparable is the M500 in performance to the EVO, and is one of them more reliable than the other? I've heard that the EVO is a little faster, but if it makes no real world difference, then it seems like the M500 is a better deal. What do you guys think?

Solution
Crucial is definitely worth considering. However, the M500 is an older model. Crucial followed up with the M550. Recently Crucial released the MX100 which replaces the M500. Crucial also lowered the price so it is a good value for the money spent.

I normally recommend Samsung ssd's. They perform exceptionally well and have a proven track record. The 840 EVO is the number one best selling ssd in the world. At the beginning of this month Samsung announced their new 850 EVO would be released in the very near future. Crucial, SanDisk, and Intel are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section, Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html...
Crucial is definitely worth considering. However, the M500 is an older model. Crucial followed up with the M550. Recently Crucial released the MX100 which replaces the M500. Crucial also lowered the price so it is a good value for the money spent.

I normally recommend Samsung ssd's. They perform exceptionally well and have a proven track record. The 840 EVO is the number one best selling ssd in the world. At the beginning of this month Samsung announced their new 850 EVO would be released in the very near future. Crucial, SanDisk, and Intel are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section, Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

Sale prices sometimes vary from day to day. If you are in the USA there should be some good sale prices next weekend because of the Labor Day holiday on Monday September 1st.

Solution

marc79

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013

sorry for thread hijack, but you mentioned something about an 850 EVO, and I have a question. Will the new 850 EVO's be arriving shortly on the market? I'm also looking at SSD's, and was torn between 500GB 840 EVO and MX100 512GB. But if 850 EVO's will release soon, I can wait and grab a newer version. /end threadjack

Bob Brennan, Senior Vice President of the Memory Solutions Lab at Samsung, stated that the drive will be “coming soon” but did not provide a date. My crystal ball is cracked but if Samsung stays true to form I would expect a release sometime during the latter part of September - perhaps the 22nd or 24th. In the meantime Samsung is already mass producing the new SP951 which will replace the XP941 M.2 NGFF ssd. The major change is an upgrade from PCIe 2.0 x4 to PCIe 3.0 x4. Unfortunately it looks like it the SP951 will be OEM only just like the XP941. There might be a few select Samsung resellers that will be allowed to sell it as a replacement part. In addition desktop motherboard manufacturers need to catch up with the new SATA 3.2 standard that was adopted last year. Although they started including M.2 headers / connectors on new motherboards they limited it to PCIe 3.0 x2. To make matters worse, if the M.2 header / connector is used, then one of the standard PCIe 3.0 slots is usually disabled. As of last month there was only one desktop motherboard that could properly support the Samsung M.2 ssd's. Samsung actually designed the M.2 ssd's for use with mobile pc's which are outselling desktop pc's. The company has lucrative contracts to supply OEM versions to "off the shelf" pc companies like Dell, Lenovo, Sony, and Apple.

BTW - At least six other companies will be releasing new ssd models during the month of September.