Crucial M550 vs Samsung 840 Pro vs Samsung 850 Pro vs Sandisk Extreme Pro vs Crucial MX100

qzmpal

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Hi Experts,

I have a need for a Hard Disk or a SSD. I'm building a server for my own use. With 32 GB RAM, 2 CPU Quad Core 3GHz processors.

I'm trying to find a better SSD, since they are lot faster than traditional Hard Disks.

Can anyone, please suggest me, which SSD is better when it comes to consistency and performance.

I read that, 512 GB and 1 TB capacities are a bit faster, rather than the 128GB and 256 GB. I don't know the reason.

But I'm looking for a reliable, fast and steady performing, SSD. Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Samsungs New SSD 850 PRO uses some different technology, which is a bit new and it is not going to be available in the next 1-1.5 Years from other Manufacturers, and it willl be a bit faster than the other drives, --- is what I have read. But I don't know, much about these SSDs,

Kindly guide me.

Thank You for Your time.

Solution
Samsung 850 Pro > Sandisk Extreme Pro > Samsung 840 Pro > Crucial M550 = Crucial MX100

Due to the pricing, I would pick the MX100 (in fact I already have - there's one in my system right now). Sure it's not as fast, but it's still pretty snappy. And it has nice features and Crucial SSDs are reliable.
Samsung 850 Pro > Sandisk Extreme Pro > Samsung 840 Pro > Crucial M550 = Crucial MX100

Due to the pricing, I would pick the MX100 (in fact I already have - there's one in my system right now). Sure it's not as fast, but it's still pretty snappy. And it has nice features and Crucial SSDs are reliable.

Solution

evgenigs

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2012

evgenigs

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2012
Wich one MX100 do you have in your system the 128, 256 GB or larger? Because there are difference in the speed. I'm wondering wich one to buy Samsung 840 Evo, Crucial MX100 or Crucial M550 120 GB versions or Cruicial MX100 256 GB. My motherboard in with Sata II, so will be a big difference in the speed of this SSD's? Which one brand From Samsung and Crucial is more reliable?

I have the 256GB version. It's true that smaller capacities can limit performance, because there are fewer NAND chips so the controller may not be able to utilize all its channels.

Samsung and Crucial are both very reliable brands, I'd say they are on par.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

I put an 840 evo 250gb in a sata II with AMDs top dual core processor (unless they have some new ones with their stupid APUs) machine, and the thing was similarly fast to my main machine (which still had an HDD a the time and AMDs top of the line (at purchase time) quadcore). It took me a while to even notice when the 840 evo performance was tanking, as I was building a new i7 machine with another 840 EVO, good prices, who could ressit right (in my gut I knew better, it said get the pro, but in my eyes I saw cheap cheap cheap)
SO STUPID, but lucky... sort of

I'm forcing a refund for the 840 evo from samsung thru BBB because it build is bad/defective, the read spped degradation problem is a hardware issue, and Samsung customer service is horrible. They said the best they could do with my fresh(ish) drives was replace them with a refurbished 840 evos.. that made me laugh and made me mad. I had to use 3rd party intervention to get a refund, and they're still being jerks about it. Installed the new fix today, seems to work, so did last one lol, also seems like it's gonna tear apart the crappy nand/ nand design they use, i wonder how many will last to their 3 year warranty... and if so, how much longer after.

Anyway samsung fast benches yes, it's cheap and made that way, and u don't even get what you pay for.

I took the value of the refund (still on the way) and spent $10 more on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 480gb. Destroys the 840 evos in real world tests I did.

The other option I was looking at was the Crucial MX200, if there wasn't a big sale on the Sandisk, the mx200 500gb was the way I was going.

As it stand I have 3 different kinds of SSDs atm I'm playing with and switching around, the Sandisk, an OCZ vector 150 (120gb), and 2 840 evos.
Both the first two felt solid, sturdy, like i could throw them at the wall and they might ricochet right back my head, unless it was drywall and then they would probably penetrate. The Samsung feels like cheap aluminum-like crap. Sure it's super light, but super flimsy and the wall throw would destroy the drive, even on drywall. Hell I'm scared to even drop it.

I don't own a Crucial, but I hear only good things, hence my intent to buy the MX200, everyone that has them loves them.

Go with the a Crucial,
and get one with a good price (mx100 or mx200 - bx may give you a problem, but I don't know that first hand, just read it)

And there's no need to get an over cheap low quality drive just because it's sata II. Who knows then you'll have another use for the drive. The OCZ is going to replace the 840 evo in my sata II, after I'm done loading my new Sandisk OS drive (at 450MB/s transfer speeds! even huge files!) And when I'm not lazy, I'm gonna take some parts from my previous build and upgrade that computer, which will then be Sata 3, and oh look, I've got a fast drive to go with it.